Ebay Hacked

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Ebay Hacked

Postby cpdretired » Wed May 21, 2014 9:39 am

cpdretired

Re: Ebay Hacked

Postby kentdun » Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 am

This site doesn't look right to me. EBay address is eBay, not ebayinc.
Also has wrong logo.

They may have been hacked. It is always best to err on the side of caution.
Just my 2cents.
kentdun

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed May 21, 2014 10:24 am

it appears to be true.
i just went to google, typed in EBAY HACKED, and it brought up plenty of recent posts.
https://www.google.com/#q=ebay+hacked
Midcoast Vintage

Postby watlingboy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:44 am

Ebay is saying it is true, it has been hacked and although no personal information has been used that they are aware of, they are advising you to change your password.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby cpdretired » Wed May 21, 2014 11:30 am

kentdun wrote:This site doesn't look right to me. EBay address is eBay, not ebayinc.
Also has wrong logo.

They may have been hacked. It is always best to err on the side of caution.
Just my 2cents.

It's the Ebay corp. site. This has been all over the news.
cpdretired

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 am

I just talked with paypal...YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH AT PAYPAL, AS OPPOSED TO EBAY... and, she confirmed it.
she said DEFINITELY change you ebay password, and, that paypal was not compromised, so, no need to change paypal password.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed May 21, 2014 12:00 pm

FROM THE EBAY SITE:
http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/05/e ... passwords/

eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorized access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorized access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Click here for updates and additional information.
- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/05/e ... zYpgL.dpuf
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 pm

So, I go to ebay to change my password and get the following:

Page not available

Looks there servers are being slammed by people trying to change their password.

It says, no activity can occur on my account until I change the password. Does that include bidding? If so, I would really be annoyed if I were trying to bid on something and couldn't or if I had a listing which was about to expire and people couldn't bid on it.

Seems to me there would be some liability issues on ebay's part but I am sure somewhere in the fine print of their user agreement they state that "in order to keep ebay a fun and safe place for everyone ebay is not responsible for anything. [-X

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 2.22.56 PM.png
Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay