Sideways Mech

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Sideways Mech

Postby marsonion » Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 pm

eBay Item No. 301190075212

1930's-40's mills nickel slot machine mech mechanism !!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!! high top

High Top?!? #-o

Didn't this come out of one of those big-fat-and-low consoles that it seems nobody collects or finds interesting? Just curious...

OK, if you think those big-fat-and-low consoles really are interesting, please chime in... I think they're interesting too! 8)
marsonion

Re: Sideways Mech

Postby kentdun » Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes. Looks like it came out of a console slot machine. The strips are sideways from a regular slot. The first slot I brought was a Mills Jumbo Parade with the pinball attachment. Looked like a regular mechanism, unsure if it fit a regular Mills cabinet.
I sold the Jumbo Parade. I always thought the consoles were cool. You don't need a stand. They usually have interesting graphics on a silk screened glass.
kentdun

Postby marsonion » Wed May 21, 2014 7:46 pm

D'ya think it's because they're such a cargo-logistics problem for buyers and sellers that they're neglected by collectors and dealers alike--? I know that's why I've passed them up, even when I was sincerely interested in a few of these items. The price has never been the issue-- that's nearly always been very fair if not practically beggaring.

kentdun wrote:Yes. Looks like it came out of a console slot machine. The strips are sideways from a regular slot. The first slot I brought was a Mills Jumbo Parade with the pinball attachment. Looked like a regular mechanism, unsure if it fit a regular Mills cabinet.
I sold the Jumbo Parade. I always thought the consoles were cool. You don't need a stand. They usually have interesting graphics on a silk screened glass.
marsonion

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 pm

cargo, and, logistics, as well as the problem of the electrical circuits, the fragile silk screened glass tops which many times are cracked and / or peeling, and, often times, the veneer is peeling due to dampness from basements, or, water damage from being stored in garages, bar room cold storage areas, etc.
parts are harder to find for them than for standard machines.
another BIG factor is, although many of them had beautiful cabinets, the thrill and sex appeal of pulling the handle and seeing the reels spin right in front of your face is non-existent on the consoles.
turning your arm sideways to push down on a handle is just not as appealing.
Last edited by Midcoast Vintage on Wed May 21, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby marsonion » Wed May 21, 2014 9:41 pm

All good points. It's a little sad that so few of these units will be left to posterity, though. :(

Midcoast Vintage wrote:cargo, and, logistics, as well as the problem of the electrical circuits, the fragile silk screened glass tops which many times are cracked and / or peeling, and, often times, the veneer is peeling due to dampness from basements, or, water damage from being stored in garages, bar room cold storage areas, etc.
parts are harder to find for them than for standard machines.
another BIG factor is, although many of them had beautiful cabinets, the thrill and sex appeal of pulling the handle and seeing the reels spin right in front of your face is no-existent on the consoles.
turning your arm sideways to push down on a handle is just not as appealing.
marsonion

Postby flipper77 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 am

Yes - very likely from a Mills Jumbo. I have had several and liked playing them. So much so that I bought an original animal reel strip and reel bundle as well as the animal glass so that I can convert the next one that I encounter. A bit of trivia - the Mills animal strips are the only Mills strips that I have seen where they printed the date visible on the strips - Copyright 1938 Mills Novelty Co. Consoles have long been overlooked but I will comment that the last several folks I have had in to buy a slot all asked about and wanted to buy my Jennings Silver Moon Console. Flip - - -
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
005 (4).JPG
flipper77

Postby clubconsoles » Thu May 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes, it seems Consoles are very overlooked by most collectors.
My favourite is my Evans galloping dominos, a terrific looking machine that's fun to play and quite rare especially in the UK?
Attachments
evans_dice.jpg
clubconsoles

Return to E-Bay