ANOTHER REPRODUCTION CASTLE FRONT SLOT MACHINE ON EBAY

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

ANOTHER REPRODUCTION CASTLE FRONT SLOT MACHINE ON EBAY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

EBAY SUPPORTS THE SALE OF ANOTHER FAKE / REPRODUCTION SLOT MACHINE.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLS-CASTLE-FR ... 35d871c6df

I THINK IT IS TIME FOR A NEW / SAFE SITE FOR PEOPLE TO GET REAL SLOT MACHINES.
Last edited by Midcoast Vintage on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midcoast Vintage

Re: ANOTHER REPRODUCTION CASLE FRONT SLOT MACHINE ON EBAY

Postby Lambow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Compared to this one, which I am assume is orginal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-MILLS-5c-B ... 258fe2d5d6
and the one above. What, another than the handle, is the difference.
Lambow

Re: ANOTHER REPRODUCTION CASTLE FRONT SLOT MACHINE ON EBAY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm

There are many differences.
the castle front Never came with a payout on a single cherry. that is a later style payout option.
castle fronts NEVER came with silver reel strips.
that style handle i never came on a castle front.
the reward card is silk screened. originals were acid etched.
the wood is brand new.
the mechanism parts are mostly, if not all new.
take these facts, and, add to fact that the other machine the seller has listed is also a reproduction / conversion, it becomes obvious that the castle front is a reproduction as well.
also, to the trained eye, most reproductions can be spotted from across the room.
ALSO, TERICK1, the seller of the black machine you bring up, is a well known, respected machine restorer, who does not, and, will not deal in reproductions.
i hope this information helps you.
if you ever have doubts. or questions on ANY machine, this forum is the place to come for help, and, honest, straight forward information.
DON'T GET BURNED... ASK QUESTIONS!
Midcoast Vintage

Postby bakerb95619 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm still a novice when it comes to identifying fake slots. I just finished reading Dave's excellent page on identifying fraudulent machines, and it seems like this one has more original identifiers than the others:
- The award card shows payouts on 2 cherries, not one
- There are two horizontal bars on the escalator
- It's a nickel machine
The other two machines (Gold Nugget and Blue Castle) are by a different seller and have obvious fake identifiers.

One more question: If original castings are used on a new cabinet, is this considered a reproduction? If a non-expert sells a machine as original and it is except for a new cash box and back door, is this a reproduction?

Thanks,
Bill
bakerb95619

Postby bakerb95619 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Sorry, I see now that the black castle machine wasn't being reported as a fake.
bakerb95619

Postby Lambow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks for the information. Some of the things I knew already. Like the single cherry vs two cherries. I did bid on the Black Castle Front machine, but was out bid, doesn't look like it met the reserve anyhow. The payout card being acid etched vs silk screened, can you describe the difference, is that something you can see, or do you need to feel it to tell the difference. I got the feeling that Terick1 was a top notch restorer by how he decribed the process. I always check here first before bidding on a machine, I wanted to thank you and others for pointing out the repo's
Lambow

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:50 am

The fact that the interior is loaded with Philips-head screws, gives a slight hint, does it not?
Then he has the gonads to tell us to look at his feedback, as if that mends the BS. :^o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby flipper77 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:50 am

Terick does make a valid point that does apply to a majority of the folks on this blog. We may be irritated by the all-too-frequent fake machines and misleading descriptions on eBay. But a scorched earth attack on eBay could result in slot machines banned. Gambling items border legal and ethics concerns anyway. We have all found eBay slots listings to be a good source of info and a handy avenue for selling select machines. Their fees are frankly a bargain to reach the global audience afforded by the eBay size. I have never sold a machine on eBay but would like to know that possibility is there when I decide to downsize. I have sold fishing lures, magazines, advertising, stamps, coins - - - with excellent results on eBay. Weigh the positives of access to eBay's huge market presence versus a new blog slot marketplace that reaches a very limited group of collectors.

Flip
flipper77

Postby Whosignedmeup » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:37 am

Okay so here is my Question... At what point does an slot machine become a Fake vs a Reproduction vs. a Restored original with after-market parts? And fore that matter, when does an All-Original machine become something different?

My thoughts are that machine classified as "Fake" should be used be used on machine which have been changed from an original, say a Sun Chief to a tic-tac-toe Sun Chief or a Sweepstake Chief. Or maybe they could be classified as "Tribute" machines, like they do in the car world, ie. Yenko, Nickey, SS's etc...

A machine classified as a "Reproduction" would be built with new parts and casting not made by the original manufacturer used on machines with all non-original parts.

And a Restored original with after-market parts, well is a machine that had been stored with some after market parts. Are new springs acceptable? Award Cards? Re-chroming / Plating? etc...
Whosignedmeup

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Here's my 2 cents and my opinion. The answer to your question is a black and white but also a little gray. You can have an original machine with a replacement back bonnet, back door, cash box, etc. It is still an original machine but it has a replacement back door, cash box or whatever. You can have an original machine that has had the case ruined and the case has been replaced. This does not make it a reproduction. It's an original machine with a new case. California tried to pass a law a few years ago, I don't know whether it went through or not but it seemed like a good idea and that was that 2/3rds of the machine had to be original to not be considered a reproduction. If you find a good machine that is missing something, i.e. bonnet, you don't throw it away or tear it down for parts because of this. The problem exists when it passes to the next guy and the replacement parts are not disclosed.

The reproductions that people complain about have new castings, new cabinet and most of the mech is made up of new parts, that is a reproduction. The fake machines are those that MAY or may not be original machines but they have been made into something else. A Diamond Front, Black Cherry or Golden Falls made into a fake Golden Nugget.

A restored machine is one that has been redone. No different than a restored car or anything else. If you are restoring a car and the radiator is bad you replace it, also some parts need replating, the same goes for slots. Award cards, reel strips, springs, etc. are all acceptable to replace. Some collectors might not want a machine that does not have the original strips and that is an individual choice. You might even have to replace some of these things on a machine that you are keeping as an unrestored machine if they are bad. I try to preserve anything I can on a machine I'm trying to clean up but sometimes you might need to replace something. It then is an original unrestored machine with a new award card or whatever.

If it has to be restored, make it as close to the original as possible without making it better than it was. Unless the mechanism is a rust bucket, don't bead blast it and ruin the original look and patina of the metal. Clean it and preserve it.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Next

Return to E-Bay