Rol-A-Top on Ebay

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Rol-A-Top on Ebay

Postby Lambow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

What do the experts think of this Rol-A-Top on Ebay? Looks like it needs some repair and restoration. I am curious as to what a high end restoration from a good restorer would cost. I am more curious about the restoration costs than bidding on this particular machine. However, does the fact that it has skill stops and vendors make it valuable? Thanks
Lambow

Re: Rol-A-Top on Ebay

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Can you post a photo or at least a link to the listing?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby MJFHouston » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Dave,

I believe he is referring to eBay listing number121366744112.

It's a 5 cent Rol-A-Top with coin top, Skills stop, front Vendor and looks like Gold Award as well.

Appears all original and unmolested
MJFHouston

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Someone painted the sides, back door, and front castings. All incorrectly.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:50 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watling-ROL-A-T ... 1c42058c30
machine is missing the vendor roll.
from what is shown in the pictures posted, there are no gold award symbols on the reel strips.
there are no photo's showing the inside of cabinet showing the back of the lower front casting, so, we do not know whether the gold award unit is there or not, also, whether the jackpot is complete or not.
at least one bar symbol on the first reel appears to be partially scratched out, or have something glued over it.
jackpot glass is cracked.
chicken wire glass is still available, but, i do not know of a source for the exact pattern of the wire used in watling machines.
watlingboy will be able to critique my diagnosis further once he checks in, and, give an approximate cost of the need parts... if they are currently available.
Last edited by Midcoast Vintage on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:42 pm

In answer to the original question, I am guessing at least $3,000 to properly restore this machine and make it right.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby watlingboy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 am

That machine has definitely been molested. As mentioned, every surface that was painted has been repainted and done poorly. Split base and holes drilled in the wood side. Very curious that no gold award symbols appear but although unlikely, it is possible that they are all on the bottom. There is only one symbol on each reel. It does have the correct fortune telling strips. The jack pot glass is available. The skill stops are complete. The hard part to replace or find is the mint vender rod. Jack Brink of Metal Form Products made the rods a few years ago but has sold out of them. He made only the rod, you still need the knob, a gear and a steel mounting plate. These pieces were not made. The rod was made for the person who had the complete assembly but the pot metal rod was broken. You also need a gear box which mounts to the front casting and a T bar trip which mounts to the case. Those two parts might be there but there is no picture to tell. So the missing mint vender rod is a big problem, unless you find a complete original somewhere.

The Rol-A-Top is one of the hardest 3 reelers to restore and only a few people do it properly. For a decent complete machine restoration, the cost is usually $2500, this would cost more.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby flipper77 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:36 am

Two days ago, I sent seller an email asking questions about this Rol-A-Top. No answer - think this is definitely buyer beware - anticipate the worst!

Flip
flipper77

Postby clubconsoles » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 am

I Can confirm the strips are correct and original GA strips, they are so aligned by pure chance that you cannot see them on the front and rear mech views pictured.
clubconsoles

Postby flipper77 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Could I ask how you have confirmed? I likely did the same exercise and compared the visible strip symbols on the eBay pics to my Vendor GA Rol-A-Top and found that the GA symbols COULD be hidden. But seller refused to answer my question on whether the strips were intact and several other questions as well. Buyer beware!

Flip
flipper77

Next

Return to E-Bay