Genuine Mills 5c Poinsettia?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Genuine Mills 5c Poinsettia?

Postby WikiSlots » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:57 am

Hello,

I guess I'm a typical amateur. I bought a machine on Ebay before I came here to ask if it's real. Would you mind letting me know if it's authentic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171431016882

The serial number is 147213, which I registered. From what I read, the serial number of a Poinsettia is too low, ca. 1926, because they weren't manufactured until 1928 or 1929. Is that true? Could it be a a different model converted to Poinsettia? Or a repo altogether?

Okay, I'll stop asking questions and let the experts chime in. I'm not even going to ask if I paid too much ... it's too late anyway.

Thank you for your help.

:Dave
WikiSlots

Re: Genuine Mills 5c Poinsettia?

Postby oldslotman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am

WikiSlots wrote:Hello,

I guess I'm a typical amateur. I bought a machine on Ebay before I came here to ask if it's real. Would you mind letting me know if it's authentic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171431016882

The serial number is 147213, which I registered. From what I read, the serial number of a Poinsettia is too low, ca. 1926, because they weren't manufactured until 1928 or 1929. Is that true? Could it be a a different model converted to Poinsettia? Or a repo altogether?

Okay, I'll stop asking questions and let the experts chime in. I'm not even going to ask if I paid too much ... it's too late anyway.

Thank you for your help.

:Dave

You most likely have an earlier model Liberty Bell that someone changed out the lower casting to make it a Poinsettia that has a jackpot. Earlier model liberty bells had no jackpots. Not a repo, just a machine that was updated to add a jackpot.
oldslotman

Postby WikiSlots » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Thank you for the info.
WikiSlots

Postby mechanic » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:09 pm

The only thing I noticed that is not original is the back door lock!
mechanic

Postby WikiSlots » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:24 am

I ordered an original lock and key for $75 from Dave Benton. I'm wondering now about the mechanism. If the top casting is 1926 and the bottom is ca. 1930, what about the internals? It has the free play option where, if the first reel lands on a lemon, the player gets a free pull. Is it possible the reel mechs could be from '26 with a free play option added, or is the only part from '26 the top casting (and body/handle) and everything else would be ca. 1930?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for your knowledge.
WikiSlots

Postby oldslotman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Is there a serial number on the inside of the cabinet?
oldslotman

Postby WikiSlots » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:27 pm

I've searched all over and couldn't find one inside the cabinet or anywhere on the wood. Just the one engraved on the top casting to the right of the bullseye.
WikiSlots

Postby WikiSlots » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 am

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I searched the forum for "paint", but couldn't find instructions. Now that I've stripped the paint and polished the aluminum (see avatar), I would like to repaint it. This is what I came up with ...

1) Tape over the relief and cover all areas not to be painted.
2) With an x-acto knife, trim away the tape to reveal the relief to be painted keeping tape in the areas between the relief.
3) Spray the area with etching primer.
4) Apply first coat of high-gloss, oil-based paint.
5) Remove tape before paint dries to avoid peeling away the first coat.
6) Staying within the lines created by the first coat, apply subsequent coats of paint, allowing to dry in between.

I have never painted on aluminum, let alone intricate relief, so any advise you can offer is greatly appreciated. [-o<

Thank you,
Dave
WikiSlots

Postby oldslotman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 am

IMG_0490.JPG
I painted one just like yours. Hand painted everything with a paint brush. No primer used. Used rustoleum paint. pretty easy to do.
oldslotman

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

you are making this project too difficult on yourself.
on a poinsettia, there is nothing to mask.
i have done dozens of these.
i use testor's model car paint, and a fine camel hair brush.
no primer needed.
if you can't find testor's (try a hobby shop, or michaels)., one shot sign painters paint works fine, as will any enamel paint such as rustoleum as stated above. .
Midcoast Vintage

Next

Return to E-Bay