JENNINGS $1. PROSPECTOR ... SOMETHING NOT RIGHT?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

JENNINGS $1. PROSPECTOR ... SOMETHING NOT RIGHT?

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:26 am

I may be wrong, or, out of line here, but, has anyone else here read the description that is in the last picture shown with this machine?
It state that the original owner of this machine got out of the gambling business in 1940, but kept 2 machines... THIS MACHINE WAS NOT AVAILABLE IN 1940.
It goes on to state that the original owner moved in 1952 and took 2 machines with him from his storage. If he had gone out of the gambling business... why would he have this machine, which was made after 1940, (and were the prospector... or any of this style cabinet floor model jennings available in 1952?
He goes on to state the machines were on location until 2005...???
Also, the supposed photograph of the original owner, does not look like an old photograph. the photo looks like a modern photo.
Below, in the ad description, he states he purchased the machine years ago from don creekmore, (nations attic), who we all know is straight up.
Again, as i stated in the beginning, i may be wrong, or, out of line here, but, the dates stated on the piece of paper shown in last picture, just don't seem right to me.
anyone else have thoughts on this?
thank you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jennings-Dollar ... 2a46b16f02
Midcoast Vintage

Re: JENNINGS $1. PROSPECTOR ... SOMETHING NOT RIGHT?

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Yes, there is definitely something wrong with this listing. Besides the ridiculous pricing, and the fact that
he cannot pack the machine, due to a broken back, but he can deliver it to a shipper with his broken back. #-o
He makes it sound as if the history letter came with the machine in 2005. The letter is made to look old,
but has a couple of areas with improper grammar, which you don't see in older writings, as people were
more attuned to getting things right back then. Besides, why try to make something look old, and then
mention a 2005 date, twice? The letter is also not addressed to anyone, nor signed by the writer.

He states buying this machine from Don Creekmore "Many years ago". 2005 was not that long ago. I asked Don
about this machine, and he vaguely remembers it, and that letter Did Not come with the machine from him.
He is going to look up the sale by the serial number, and let me know the scoop. Don also said, that any letter
that would accompany any machine from him, would have been on his letterhead, and dated.
I have not checked the serial listings for this "Prospector" #177780 model, to see what date it falls into. Maybe
someone else has, and can shed some light. I am quite sure that this machine was not in the possession of
Mr. Robert James Overy in 1940. I could be wrong, but aren't those buttons on his shirt, current style? Hmm!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:51 pm

$_57.JPG
here is the letter in case seller gets hip to fact we are wise to him and deletes it:
Midcoast Vintage

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Not a lot of dates on my copy of the Jennings serial number list,
but this machine with a serial of 177780 would fall among 3 or 4 machines in the 1946-1948 range.

If the letter in the auction was intended to document the provenance of the machine, it REALLY seems strange that it does not state the serial number of the machine,
nor does it give a description of the machine being sold.
nvmos2

Postby MikeB » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:42 am

MikeB

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:21 pm

MikeB wrote:http://records.ancestry.com/robert_james_overy_records.ashx?pid=193099221

That this person exists on ancestry.com merely proves that a person with that name existed at the dates and places stated, and NOTHING more.
It NO WAY validates the history of the machine being offered.
It will be very interesting to see what don comes up with once he checks his records. if don comes up with nothing relating to the overy character, it would be very interesting to hear the sellers story on how and where he came up with "HIS STORY".
As i stated initially... the dates do not add up.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby MikeB » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:
MikeB wrote:http://records.ancestry.com/robert_james_overy_records.ashx?pid=193099221

That this person exists on ancestry.com merely proves that a person with that name existed at the dates and places stated, and NOTHING more.
It NO WAY validates the history of the machine being offered.
It will be very interesting to see what don comes up with once he checks his records. if don comes up with nothing relating to the overy character, it would be very interesting to hear the sellers story on how and where he came up with "HIS STORY".
As i stated initially... the dates do not add up.

I completely agree, I only posted that to show he existed, not for any other reason.
MikeB

Postby Swami » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:54 pm

I am NOT endorsing this seller in any way whatsoever. In fact, I find him to be a top notch JERK. I have corresponded with him a few times and he has "Gone Off" on me several times for no reason. However, I do know a little bit about this machine.

It was built in 1947. Don Creekmore from the Nations Attic did sell Jim this machine about 9 or 10 years ago. All the provenance with the machine was provided to Jim from Don Creekmore. I have a copy of all this stuff on my computer, because I inquired about the machine when it was still in Don's possession. The seller (Jim) does have serious back problems and I think the medication he takes effects his moods & memory.

Overall the machine is an Extremely well preserved example. One of the best I've seen. What I find interesting is that nobody on this forum has commented on the Fact that it is a "Prospector" with "Monte Carlo" glass. The bottom casting has all the Glass inserts that belong in a "Monte Carlo" not a "Prospector. The machine has clearly never been altered so here is my theory on the discrepancy.

The Jennings factory was probably building this $1.00 machine to be a" Monte Carlo" when an order came in for a $1.00 "Prospector". At that point all that was needed was to place a"Prospector" Top Marquee in the machine, complete the interior information label as a Prospector, then ship the machine out. Just a guess.

Anyway, a really nice example.
Swami

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:30 am

Chris, I didn't notice the side windows had Monte-Carlo glass (Break the Bank) instead of Prospector (Grub Stake) glass. Your theory behind that makes sense.

I was going to post a comment on the condition of the machine but decided not to but since you brought it up here is what I was going to say.

To me, the machine looks almost too perfect. No visible nicks at all in the chrome just below the escalator (where coins hit when the fall out of the patrons hand) and the wood also looks perfect. Especially since it has hit 277 jackpots (see below). That is a fair amount of play.

I have a really nice all original $.25 Prospector and while extremely nice there are signs of it being moved around and also played. This machine also came out of Wyoming and was put in storage back in the early 50s when they became illegal. There were also some Cherry Front Rol-A-Tops and a checkerboard RAT with the original shipping crate.

Anyway, if the machine is actually all original as stated I think the provenance document doesn't really add anything to the value so I would just ignore that.

I don't think the price is really out of line either IF the machine is truly an unmolested, unrestored original and not a fabrication out of the Chicago area from years ago. I know it is not a fabrication from the latest person doing them because those are horrific.

I did a search for Prospector on the Price Guide http://www.AntiqueSlotMachinePriceGuide.com and this identical machine was (supposedly) sold on 10/28/2010 for $8,400 (which would have been a great deal). The seller was Pennynutt and there were 25 bidders on it. So, if he sold it in 2010 why does he still own it? Hmm, shill bidder bought it back in 2010? [-X The background in the photo is identical to the background in the current photos so it is not in a different location.

Here is the 2010 ebay description

UP FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IS A RARE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A GREAT PIECE OF HISTORY AN ORIGINAL JENNINGS ONE DOLLAR PROSPECTOR!!!!

THE MACHINE WAS PURCHASED, OPERATED, AND OWNED BY A MAN NAMED ROBERT JAMES OVERY. ROBERT WAS SOMETHING OF A RENEGADE AND DURING THIS TIME BEGAN INVESTING HIS MONEY IN SLOT MACHINES WHICH WERE ILLEGAL. EVENTUALLY, HE HAD A NUMBER OF MACHINES WHICH HE PLACED IN TAVERNS, BARS, AND NIGHTCLUBS IN LANDER, GREEN RIVER, ROCK SPRINGS, PINEDALE AND OTHER TOWNS IN THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF WYOMING. THIS MACHINE WAS PLACED IN AN ESTABLISHMENT NAMED THE LOG INN, WHICH WAS FIVE MILES FROM THE CITY LIMTS OF ROCK SPRINGS. THIS PLACE WAS STILL IN OPERATION AS OF 2005.

IN THE MID 40'S IN SOUTHWEST WYOMING WHICH WAS A PARTICULARLY LAWLESS PART OF THE STATE, ON A REGULAR BASIS, THE SHERIFF WOULD INSPECT VARIOUS ESTABLISHMENTS TO DETERMINE IF THERE WAS ILLEGAL ACTIVITY TAKING PLACE ON THE PREMISES. IT WAS AGREED BY THE SHERIFF AND ROBERT THAT THE SHERIFF WOULD NOTIFY ROBERT A DAY OR TWO BEFORE HIS VISITS SO HE COULD REMOVE HIS MACHINES FROM THE ESTABLISHMENTS. IN TURN HANDS WERE GREASED!!!!!

ROBERT ALSO NEW HIS MACHINES VERY WELL, HE COULD TELL JUST ABOUT WHEN THEY WERE GOING TO HIT THE BIG JACKPOT, SO HE WOULD DO SOMETHING TO HIS MACHINE TO PLACE THEM OUT OF ORDER. AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE JACKPOT COUNTER IN THE PICTURES IT ONLY PAYED 277 JACKPOTS AND ONE OF THOSE I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO HIT AFTER FOUR YEARS OF OWNERSHIP!

ROBERT SOLD ALL OF HIS MACHINES EXCEPT TWO DOLLAR PROSPECTORS, IN WHICH, HE TOOK TO PORTLAND OREGON AND RETIRED FROM THE GAMBLING INDUSTRY, THE OTHER MACHINE THAT ROBERT TOOK IS IN AN ESTABLISHMENT IN TILLAMOOK, OREGON. ROBERT YOUNGEST SON ENDED UP WITH THIS MACHINE AND IT LIVED IN BEND, OREGON UNTIL 2005 WHEN I PURCHASED IT.

MATCHING NUMBERS, YALE LOCK, VERY LITTLE PLAY ON MECH JUST LOOK AT THE DISCS, ALL ORIGINAL HARDWARE TO OPERATE DRAW AND THE ONLY THING THAT i HAVE DONE IN FOUR YEARS IS REPLACE A LIGHT BULB. PLAYS AS IF IT WAS JUST OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE!!

THE ARE A FEW SCRATCHES AND ONE DING ON THE CONSOLE ON THE END AT THE CORNER FROM HIM MOVING THE MACHINE TO HIDE IT FROM THE LAW, BUT NOTHING DISTRACTING, I THOUGHT IS WAS CHARACTER TO THE HISTORY OF THE MACHINE. THEY ARE CLOSE TO AND RIGHT ON THE BACK EDGE OF THE CONSOLE. I JUST WANT TO MENTION IT OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A TRUELY NICE PIECE OF HISTORY, PLAYS JUST LIKE SHE LOOKS BEAUTIFULLY!!!!

HATE TO SEE IT GO BUT SLOTS ARE HARD TO PLAY WITH WHEN A BROKEN BACK IS INVOLVED, AND FOUR SURGERIES. TIME TO GO TO A TRUE COLLECTOR WITH A STRONG BACK, LOL!!!!

SHIPPING IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR THIS ITEM THE BUYER CAN MAKE ALL ARRANGEMENTS FOR SHIPPING THIS ITEM OR FOR A PRICE OF SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS I CAN BUILD A SOLID CRATE AND SEND IT FREIGHT AND INSURED! THIS IS WHAT I PAID TO GET IT HERE IN A CRATE. THE BUYER MAY ALSO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR LOCAL PICKUP IS WHAT I WOULD REALLY PREFER!!!!!! I WILL LIST WITH A SHIPPING CHARGE OF SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS AND THE BUYER CAN DENY THE CHARGES IF HE MAKES ALL ARRANGEMENTS WITH IN 5 BUSINESS DAYS OF SALE. UPON SELLERS APPROVAL!!! I WILL ACCEPT PAYPAL AND CASH ON LOCAL PICKUP!!!!

IF ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED MORE PICS FEEL FREE TO ASKED AND I WILL DO WHAT EVER I CAN TO ASSIT YOU !

HAVE A BLESSED DAY AND THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay