How clean is too clean?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

How clean is too clean?

Postby Lambow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I was looking at this rol-a-top on ebay. He states that the cash box, and some thing else are original. The insides and outside look like it was made yesterday. I am not interested in buying this machine, just trying to educate myself. Is this rol-a-top mostlyl orginal, and if it is how do you restore/clean/etc a machine to that degree?

Thank You, Lambow
Lambow

Re: How clean is too clean?

Postby watlingboy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:21 pm

You never said which Rol-A-Top you were looking at but it is very simple how they get them to look like this. You bead blast the mechanism, brass or gold plate the castings, replace the reel strips and do an incorrect flashy paint job and there you go. This is mostly what you see for sale. I liked the guy who wants $6995 for one of these and states that you might find one cheaper but you will never find one better. These people are delusional.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Lambow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Lambow

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 pm

What's up with the statement: This is the only Watling on eBay that has all metal clock gears as opposed to plastic ones.?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:52 pm

Dave wrote:What's up with the statement: This is the only Watling on eBay that has all metal clock gears as opposed to plastic ones.?

The Seller is a well-known restorer/dealer, but he seems to be a bit of a character;
the last time I dared to question one of his machines, he got all huffy and told me to never email him again,
so I cannot ask him what he means; perhaps someone else could.

Here is what I THINK he means:
Some (Many? I have no idea) Watling slots have pressed fiber gears (rather than metal) in the clock;
they wear more quickly and are easily damaged.
Apparently they are impossible to repair and hard to replace.
Another well known/reputable restorer has made some replacement gears out of hard plastic; see flebay item 400761635910,
and offers them to collectors who need to rebuild a Watling clock.
This seems like a good/ valuable service.

However, the Seller has no way of knowing how many (if any) Watling slots up for auction have the replacement gears unless the listing so states.
Seems like a strange and unjustifiable claim to me.
Perhaps he meant to say he replaced the original fiber gear with a more durable metal one.
nvmos2

Postby watlingboy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 pm

The guy did not plate the castings but he did bead blast the inside of the castings, replace the strips, bead blast the mechanism and paint it incorrectly. Bead blasting removes all the original look and patina of the castings and mechanism and leaves them with this brand new look. Some people like it which is why it continues to be done.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Return to E-Bay