Regarding E-Bay

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: Regarding E-Bay

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Dave,
Thank you.
As of 3 months ago, i have been declared cancer free.
Thanks to God, and 3 extremely fine doctors.
Be well,
Dave
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Billyzap » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:38 am

Supposedly ebay had given the power of a magic button to end auctions to one of its members in the area of advertising signs. A few midwest dealers had their auctions taken down and some were band from selling on ebay. When questioned by these dealers a representative of ebay gave this gentleman up. ( now I personally know the wronged sellers and the individual that was named by ebay and have heard all the stories except ebays) This all took place about a year and a half ago. And a few weeks before the Indy Ad show. All three involved were attending the show. Words were spoken. As far as I am concerned all three were in the wrong and also right. The magic button gentleman was guilty of being a little too quick on the button and was known to be one of those "experts" that cast more doubt then affirmation. Meanwhile the other two did knowingly put repos and fakes on ebay or at least knew that the signs might not be right. So many people use the term "vintage" in their descriptions to cover up the fact that what they are selling are half truths or just outright garbage. Having bought and sold on ebay I have to say that every sale is a possible screw job. I've gotten lucky and I've been taken. On the mistakes I ve made meaning I got screwed I've just ate it and keep on plugging along. Ebay we can all agree has actually screwed up the collecting business......it has made anybody a dealer....it has allowed all the hucksters to get new victims....it has become a value guide instead of the "book" of pre ebay days. I personally do 99% of my buying on a face to face basis....I prefer to hold it in my hands. Ebay is definitely a buyer beware venue....something I try to avoid. Support your shows get off the computer and meet and greet your old friends and rivals ....you might make a fantastic find!
Billyzap

Postby YourBestBet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:04 am

Billyzap wrote:Supposedly ebay had given the power of a magic button to end auctions to one of its members in the area of advertising signs. A few midwest dealers had their auctions taken down and some were band from selling on ebay. When questioned by these dealers a representative of ebay gave this gentleman up. ( now I personally know the wronged sellers and the individual that was named by ebay and have heard all the stories except ebays) This all took place about a year and a half ago. And a few weeks before the Indy Ad show. All three involved were attending the show. Words were spoken. As far as I am concerned all three were in the wrong and also right. The magic button gentleman was guilty of being a little too quick on the button and was known to be one of those "experts" that cast more doubt then affirmation. Meanwhile the other two did knowingly put repos and fakes on ebay or at least knew that the signs might not be right. So many people use the term "vintage" in their descriptions to cover up the fact that what they are selling are half truths or just outright garbage. Having bought and sold on ebay I have to say that every sale is a possible screw job. I've gotten lucky and I've been taken. On the mistakes I ve made meaning I got screwed I've just ate it and keep on plugging along. Ebay we can all agree has actually screwed up the collecting business......it has made anybody a dealer....it has allowed all the hucksters to get new victims....it has become a value guide instead of the "book" of pre ebay days. I personally do 99% of my buying on a face to face basis....I prefer to hold it in my hands. Ebay is definitely a buyer beware venue....something I try to avoid. Support your shows get off the computer and meet and greet your old friends and rivals ....you might make a fantastic find!

Well put Billyzap. Support the shows and meet face-to-face. That is truly the best way to buy.

Unfortunately, there are bad people selling on eBay, at shows and in person. eBay is "buyer-beware" because you don't have the luxurious of inspecting the machine or getting to know the seller's background in most cases. However, I do enjoy seeing the listings the pop up from time to time and reading the descriptions. It's 99% of the fun. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to buy. If you see a machine listed in your area, you can arrange to possibly see it in person which is just another channel for finding a machine.

Limit your risk and make good decisions!! Sometimes it takes mistakes to learn that. At least it did for me.

It's kind of like getting caught up in an auction at VCA/Morphy and overpaying for a piece that turns out to be lousy when you inspect it at home. You get caught up in the moment and your emotions take over your good judgement.
YourBestBet

Postby leospanner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 am

I would like to add my thanks to Dave as well. He does a wonderful job of keeping this site going for "our" benefit. I'm not sure we all realize how much he does and how much it probably costs him. I know he doesn't really charge for the site, but if he put a spot on here to "contribute" some for the site maintenance I know I would surely make a contribution, as I'm sure many others would too. Thanks Dave, I for one love this site.
leospanner

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:22 pm

One of the reason I formed COPS and gave all members a customized logo was that I hoped they would use it in their ebay listings.

I have used it in mine and I think it has helped me not only get interested buyers but also have had people contact me asking questions about fake machines.

I encourage COPS members to use their COPS logo in their ebay listings.
Dave
Site Admin

Previous

Return to E-Bay