watling slot

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

watling slot

Postby 5 cent player » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Hello
I just came across this machine on eBay and as Watling slot machines do not come for sale as often as other more common machines, I thought that this machine would make for some good discussions, that newbie's like me can learn from. What do you all think about the casting (some admitted to be repro's) and missing jackpot and gold award parts and pieces. Thanks in advance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATLING-5-CENT- ... 2eddbdd168
5 cent player

Re: watling slot

Postby watlingboy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Not much to say about this machine, the seller seemed truthful with what is wrong with it. All that is left of the jackpot is the shell, I haven't seen a complete jackpot for sale in years and then they sold for between $500 and $600. Entire gold award mech is missing, they do come up for sale occasionally, $50 to $100. The replaced jackpot bar is a deal breaker for me because that will always show and the replacement was not done exactly as the original. Replaced horn and eagle. Back bonnet once had skill stops or the factory plate to cover the holes. Bottom line, it's not worth what his starting price is.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:48 pm

You are right, that the starting price is a bit high, for what one is starting out with. At least the seller is listing
what is missing, and replaced, and showing many pix. Which is way more than most sellers devote their time to.
I was thinking that the machine never came with Gold Award, and they added the recast Eagle with window &
coins, just for looks. But, there appears to be gold award symbols on the strips, so maybe it was there at one
point. That's the pitts about the missing jackpot mechanism. Good luck finding that!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Anglobritish » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:12 pm

33. Bell-Fruit-Article.pdf
(5.23 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
33. Bell-Fruit-Article.pdf
(5.23 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
Just as a matter of interest, from time to time, there is some British Bell-Fruit machines sold on Ebay, quite cheap, collectors should be aware that the mechanisms in those machines are Watling, I wrote an article on the history leading up to the Watling Tooling being used by Bell-Fruit for their 50 th, Anniversary. My main point is, because Watling parts are so expensive, buying a Bell-Fruit machine with a Watling mechanism could be a way to go.

I am sure Watlingboy will enjoy the history.

Freddy Bailey
Anglobritish

Return to E-Bay