Mills Extraordinary 5 cent

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Mills Extraordinary 5 cent

Postby JPCass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm putting this up partly as a reminder that this is the type of machine I'm looking for, to replace the first one I restored (see sig), that got away from me:

Antique Slot Machine Mills "Extraordinary" 1930s Art Deco Classic
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/121580687381

It is a nickel model that even has the early version open reserve jackpot window (which was sometimes covered with a plate, before, if I have it right, being completely removed from the casting).

To my eye, at best, this is over-restored with the chroming and everything (and, thus overpriced). Perhaps those of you with more experience can help steer me here, but the first thing that looks wrong to me is that there aren't bolt heads in the front of the base - meaning that, at a minimum, is a replacement (though from the rear view, it looks like the cases sides are old if not original wood). Then, it has a later-style handle. The mechanism and case insides look to me like they could be over-cleaned (or even re-plated or painted) originals, but they're so shiny that I don't have the experienced eye to tell. And the cash box looks new, not surprisingly.

It occurs to me that there was a really rough partly repainted "barn find" type machine on eBay a while back, that looked to me like it needed too much work, including having a ruined base, to be turned into a nicely restored collector's machine, but this could be it turned into a shiny man-cave machine. I guess it wouldn't be such a bad thing to take a basket-case machine like the one I saw, and make something of it that there's a market for; that would be better than butchering a collectible machine, and certainly not as bad as selling a repro as an antique.

I'd be interested to hear what old hands think of this machine - am I looking at the right things? And if you know of an authentic one that's available....
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Re: Mills Extraordinary 5 cent

Postby TheFatman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44 pm

I understand your feelings. There is a line that has to be drawn when you can restore a machine or you have to rebuild. What do you do if you have one that is so far gone that restoration of the original is not possible? Like the whole bottom of the maching cabinet rotted or missing. I , myself am ok with this type of rebuild but only, if made for sale that it is correctly represented for what it is, and what it was and what has been done to it. To make a prospective buyer think he is getting an original restored machine when so much has been replaced is just wrong. And when that is the case, it should be left alone .... just saying how I feel.
dave F
TheFatman

Postby Lambow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:04 pm

This machine has been relisted for $200 less than the orginal listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Slot-Ma ... 19fcb11bcd

Other than the not orginal, maybe over done restoration, what do people think? what looks original and what doesn't? Price? compared to other Extraordinary's listed on ebay it's seems damn cheap. Will that wrinkle coat paint stay on, it looks like it might be susceptible to flaking off
Lambow

Postby TheFatman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm

The way it looks to me, is that it was all chromed and the paint put on top of it. I feel the same .... only time will tell. But I think if it gets bumped or scratched with a coin, off it will come, in big pieces.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby oldslotman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:11 pm

That machine has a replacement and incorrect base board on it.
oldslotman

Return to E-Bay