PUT ON YOUR HIP BOOTS BEFORE READING THE DESCRIPTION ON THIS

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

PUT ON YOUR HIP BOOTS BEFORE READING THE DESCRIPTION ON THIS

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:37 am

COLUMBIA SLOT MACHINE with a real B.S. description on where else... EBAY.
Where do they come up with all this b.s.?
WARNING: PUT ON YOUR HIP BOOTS BEFORE VIEWING THIS AUCTION!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Al-Capone-era-G ... 234e6d589e
Midcoast Vintage

Re: PUT ON YOUR HIP BOOTS BEFORE READING THE DESCRIPTION ON

Postby stemmr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:54 am

Not too bad for 15 bucks.
stemmr

Postby J57T » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 am

Obviously it is fun to dream of the stories that could go along with any of the machines from the era that we are collecting in. Unless the story, any story, can be validated and traced to its accuracy, (like an authenticated original inventory of machine serial numbers in establishments documented by authorities to be operated by a specific individual and this machine possesses one of those serial numbers listed in the correct place with no evidence of modification to the serial number), then it is simply entertainment and speculation, whether true or not. My point to other collectors, of anything, is: A few unscrupulous sellers (and "flippers") sometimes hope that a story will add value to a machine that would otherwise be worth less than their price. I am sure that we have all been outbid on an item because someone else saw the value of the story, rather than the value of the machine on its own merit, only to be disappointed with the unsubstantiated historical inaccuracies of their acquisition. Asking for verification, or not being able to validate the story, often offends the seller like in the pawn store TV shows. If we buy the machine's merits (or any item) and not the story, we might be more satisfied with what we have.
J57T

Postby marsonion » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:34 am

Nearly every statement in the description is a demonstrable falsehood; it's a mug's game to request supporting documentation for palpable lies. My documentation indicates that Columbias were first introduced in 1936 ( which ain't "early" 1930s, and the "Prohibition Era" ended in 1933), the yellow tag clearly lists patent issue dates, not when the machine was "serviced," it could not possibly be among the first 200 Columbias manufactured (I own #1579, a distinctly earlier model than this), etc., etc... Note that, at the same time as the seller goes off at great length on this Chicago gangster fantasy, he neglects to mention things any buyer would truly want to know, such as: does it work?!? Well, obviously not-- that escalator is a mess! Its carcass can be seen lying in a tin pan where the missing cashbox should be. :roll:
marsonion

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:52 am

Here is a question I sent to the seller:
Dear halfbakedbillionairesclub,

hi,
is this machine in working condition?
does it payout properly, etc.
thank you.

- midcoastvintage

Here is the reply I received:
Dear midcoastvintage,

Yes it does. It is in working condition. Great unit that has yet to be restored. Thank you for your inquiry.

- halfbakedbillionairesclub

PLEASE NOTE THAT HE NOW HAS THE MACHINE LISTED TWICE.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Al-Capone-era-G ... TQ:US:1123

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Al-Capone-era-G ... 234e6d5d24
Midcoast Vintage

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Doesn't the sellers userID say it all? :^o
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to E-Bay