WATLING SLOT MACHINE BASTARDIZED & FOR SALE ON EBAY

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

WATLING SLOT MACHINE BASTARDIZED & FOR SALE ON EBAY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 pm

WHY!!! do people do this stuff to nice machines?
Do they honestly think it looks good?
This guy does this repeatedly.
He has / had many machines & other sundry items at BACK IN THE DAY CLASSICS with added marquees, added feet, and other such nonsense.
Doing this stuff is right up there with the crap the vegas butcher is doing to trade stimulators.
Look at mills poinsettia in the background with the caille upright marquee, and added feet.
VERY SAD.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Watling-BL ... 43dad10cbd
Midcoast Vintage

Re: WATLING SLOT MACHINE BASTARDIZED & FOR SALE ON EBAY

Postby Whosignedmeup » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:19 pm

I like it... It adds a bit of class. I know it is not right, but it does look sharp.
Whosignedmeup

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 am

I sure feel sorry for anyone that buys these 'Way Overdone CRAP-OLA Slots'. :^o
They all belong in a circus display, which is what this shop looks like. The prices
are also from 'Dreamland'. Throw a few more bucks into the pot, and you could
have yourself a good-honest Mills "Owl" or "Judge".
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby mechanic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm

The really sad thing is someone will spend good money on that POS and then try to sell it later on and find he was had. The other thing that gets me is people that chrome plate castings that were only meant to be polished !!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHH !!! It will cost twice as much to do it over when it could have been done right the first time.
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Whether this fantasy machine is classy or just plain crassy is apparently a matter of taste, and there’s just no accounting for people’s taste.
That’s why guys take a nice restorable gum or other machine and turn it into a high gloss Coke or Nascar machine. One of the most rare and ornate peanut machines of all time was found in a thrift shop (or flea market) after someone turned it into a lamp.

This (and other sellers) must think it’s a good idea, otherwise they wouldn’t do it.
Maybe, because they actually think it’s an improvement, but more likely for the greed induced by an easier sell at a high price to an unsuspecting buyer.
Whatever the reason, they clearly are not concerned about the preservation of a vintage machine. Once you start cutting/drilling holes you have (at least partially) damaged the machine forever.

One would think that most followers of this forum would think it’s just plain crazy to take a good/restorable vintage machine and turn it into a fantasy item.
Maybe that is why the Administrator saw the need for a Coin Op PRESERVATION Society. The hobby did not need another Coin Op Collector’s Association; we’ve already got one of those which, unfortunately, has done very little to enforce it’s stated ethical standards.
The seller of this machine and the Vegas Butcher could start a Coin Op Bastardization Society; hopefully their customers would know what they are buying and simply prefer flash and sparkle over authenticity and originality;
to each his own. As P.T.Barnum said. “You’ll never go broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:12 pm

To follow up what you say about COCA allowing members to be part of their group, and have no intentions
of following the rules & regulations that they preach, about the authenticity, and preservation of our hobbies
vintage collectables, it is definitely NOT what they say it is, and should change the name of the association.
I have been a member since day one, and things were a lot better back then, before the people joined, that
were building Repro Crap, and Fantasy machines. No one that I know of has been refused membership, or
thrown-out, because of their unethical practices.

My point being.........take just one collector group, out of the many. Namely, the Ford Model 'A' clubs. All of
them, not just a few. You CAN NOT be a member of the club, unless you have a stock original, or restored
model. Not a Hot Rod 'A', on a modern chassis, with a blown Chevy small block, or any other configuration.
This holds true with most vintage car collector clubs, no matter what the make.

Now on the other hand........I see this Forum doing a much better job of educating our collectors in preserving
our vintage machines. Just look back at how many new collectors, that we have talked into leaving a nice original
machine alone, by just cleaning it up, and not restoring it. This is what most of us true collectors like to see.
Nuff said! For now, that is!
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to E-Bay