Is this a US Rol a Top?

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Is this a US Rol a Top?

Postby Imaohw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Imaohw

Re: Is this a US Rol a Top?

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 pm

This is definitely a nicely restored, and correct machine, from what I can see. It is a U.S. 5c example, with
the U.S. coin casting, twin jackpots, twin venders, and skill stops, (which you do not see often, in working
order). The only extra feature missing here, is the gold award. This is just my 2c worth. I will leave the more
experienced expert, (watlingboy), to fill you in with any additional info.
Additionally: The one thing that I would be cautious about here, is the seller. I do not know the userID, and
he or she registered in 2008, with only a single purchase feedback. Therefore, is this a legit sale, is the
machine 'Hot', or whatever? Be careful.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby pj waelti » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:26 pm

looks like the listing ended?
pj waelti

Postby Imaohw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Imaohw

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Good chance he did not know what he had, looking at his other items, and some one offerd him probably around 800 and he took it cause he has not a clue. ... Win some ... loose some
TheFatman

Postby watlingboy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:10 pm

The short answer is, yes, it is an American coin 5 cent Rol-A-Top but it has been screwed with a little bit. It should have fortune telling strips and doesn't. There are a couple of exceptions to that rule but this machine should have them. There are two philips head screws holding the reel bundle support in, it originally had slotted screws so maybe the reel bundle was changed. The second coin detector in the escalator should be cast brass and has been changed to the later style which is stamped sheet metal. The denomination badge should be blue and white and not brass. You won't find a brass badge, original, with a horizontal screw pattern, they are all diagonal. These came with and without gold award. This one was never had gold award as it was never drilled and tapped inside for it. It is possible this was a coin front and the vender bottom was swapped. On the handle side you will notice that there is an extra carriage bolt at the bottom that has been painted black. This was where a coin front bottom casting would have mounted. The vender bottom casting has to mount higher because the vender gear box is in the way. Looking under the coin tray to see if there are two sets of screw holes would answer that as the two trays do not share the same holes. And the carriage bolts have all been replaced. Watling bolts are unique and have small domed heads unlike the Mills and Jennings carriage bolts. Looks like a really nice mech with great original strips. Skill stops are original and correct. I probably should have stopped with Yes, more than most want to know about that machine.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby integ194 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:02 am

An extraordinarily comprehensive diagnosis & analysis watlingboy. As a naïve newbies I am indebted for your commitment, knowledge & expertise. =D>
integ194

Postby goodguy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 am

lets give the newbie, hope to be, collector a break. Watlingboy had it right when he wrote "I should of just said yes"
We con tine ue to complicate collecting. By the time you send info the item is sold. Our potenetial collector
is like the hunter-- who aims, aims, aims, but never pulls the trigger. We constantly remind
every one of the danger, and stop more from buyings and trying. I could and do live with imperfection in
my collection. I love and enjoy it just the same.

We should do more to expand the knowledge,, coin-op is more the slots, it covers,trade stims, vending
,(which is an entity by itself, arcade with its history.Perhaps there a collectors that would make
their collections available to visists, from other collecotor and potential colletors. How many members does
COCA have.. 700 + I wonder how many do we have, and those with collections who would open their doors,
and knowledge to others. (excuse the poor typing I have a cast on one hand) goodguy
goodguy

Postby gamblingman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:08 am

Gotta say I disagree GoodGuy. He shared his knowledge, and pointed out what was altered and possibly changed on the machine. This particular sale aside, he has now educated a lot of folks on several things to look for when they find one of these units. Buying an imperfect unit is up to the purchaser, but I for one, would like to have an informed opinion as to what those imperfections are, before I make the decision or not. Many folks have bought seemingly intact and complete machines, just to find out they are worth half of what they paid. I learned a whole bunch in one short post....and am constantly amazed at the vast amount of knowledge that is out there.
gamblingman

Postby Imaohw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you watlingboy for your very detailed and informative writeup. I'm personally glad you didn't stop at yes. The long answer helps newcomers like me learn and is greatly appreciated. Knowledge is power and I would rather be an informed hobbyist even if I miss purchasing a machine or two.
Imaohw

Next

Return to E-Bay