Mills vest pocket

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Mills vest pocket

Postby Denny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

Saw this machine yesterday and noticed that it was listed 3 times. Seller changed discription a little each time. It doesn't say mills on the serial tag just a # 44842. I didn't see any listing for a vest pocket in the 44 thousands on the coin op registry. Is this a genuine mills vest pocket . Also I noticed most vest pockets on ebay are missing the fan stopper. So I'm assuming there's a problem with the real stops stopping prematurely. Do you think this machine is worth the $599 price tag?
eBay #262179953270.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Denny

Re: Mills vest pocket

Postby TheFatman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:54 pm

First things first ....
NO .... not worth that price. Not original paint or serial # tag. As far as the fan stop goes, I feel that the fan stop didn't start to appear until the " Plus" model came out. I do know the Sega machines had them. Dont quote me on all that except for the price. I am solid about that.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby GEM » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi Denny,
As Dave said, no, it is not worth the price. I find it funny how people will advertise a Vest Pocket as all original, when it has obviously been re-painted. Mills never made a Vest Pocket in a solid Blue like this. It is missing the fan stop. These are often broken off, and are not needed for normal play, and yes, they were only included in the later production years. As for the serial number tag, I have seen this style on several machines, and I do believe it is original. I have also seen silk screened aluminum tags on several, but the most common is the engraved brass. It is estimated Mills made over 50,000 of these machines, so that serial number is not unusual.
GEM
GEM

Postby TheFatman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 pm

This is the earliest SN I have seen.
Early SN2.jpg

and still have this in my collection.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby mrslot1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:21 am

with the narrow tag like that, it looks like a Sega Vest pocket,
mrslot1

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:36 am

[quote="TheFatman"]This is the earliest SN I have seen.

DaveF; Do you know;
what is the coinage on that #891 machine(I assume it is 5 cent)?
What is original color?
(there are 2 lower serials in the data base: 148 and 888).

Interesting;
with the high serial number,
my original thought also was that it was a Sega, but I don't know if Sega continued the serials where Mills left off.

Additionally, there are over a dozen VPs with serials over 45xxx in the data base.
In Slots 1; VP "serials apparently started with 100........Postwar serials went over 50,000."
The listing shows the mechanism with what looks like the standard Mills VP serial number sticker, which matches the case number.

The case serial plate looks like it could be a Mills plate that has been cut down, but why would anyone do that?
Coin Slot Guide 13 shows that Abco Novelty Company produced a "Rebuilt Vest Pocket" starting in January 1947.
Perhaps Abco rebuilt this VP and cut off the Mills name from the case serial plate.

P.S. Apparently the seller doesn't know the meaning of the word "rare."
nvmos2

Postby Denny » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies.

The seller also stated cash pick up to avoid eBay fees on his or her previous description which is illegal. Seller has since changed the description a bit but still has the same intention on burning eBay on fees. Selling only to locals.
Denny

Postby TheFatman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:34 am

My VP is a nickle and by looking inside the case, the original was the green wrinkle finish. I would love to find a good place to get the wrinkle paint and redo it correctly.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby sam2002 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 pm

TheFatman wrote:My VP is a nickle and by looking inside the case, the original was the green wrinkle finish. I would love to find a good place to get the wrinkle paint and redo it correctly.
Dave F

I don't think you will find a source for green wrinkle . Alternatively you could paint it black wrinkle and top it with a green . I believe dark brown and black wrinkle are the only 2 available . Again you can thank the EPA .
In England you can buy paint that if applied properly will mimick the look of chrome .
sam2002

Return to E-Bay