Another Reproduction

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Another Reproduction

Postby sam2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:39 pm

All I can say in flippin unbelievable .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152006558649?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The work that must have went into this !
sam2002

Re: Another Reproduction

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:29 pm

I saw this Sam.
It looks really nice from outside.. but I reckon he should of reproduced the mechanical bits on the inside.
All the Electronic wizardry is truly off putting, no collector wants to see that.
Even with the cabinet all closed up, it just wouldn't sound right.
I would far rather spend $40K on an ORIGINAL Victorian Floor wheel than have this in my collection.
I would alawys feel slightly embarrassed about opining it up to show people!
clubconsoles

Postby sam2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:36 pm

clubconsoles wrote:I saw this Sam.
It looks really nice from outside.. but I reckon he should of reproduced the mechanical bits on the inside.
All the Electronic wizardry is truly off putting, no collector wants to see that.
Even with the cabinet all closed up, it just wouldn't sound right.
I would far rather spend $40K on an ORIGINAL Victorian Floor wheel than have this in my collection.
I would alawys feel slightly embarrassed about opining it up to show people!

Clubconsoles
I tend to agree with you on your statements but was amazed at all of the work someone went to
40K is better spent elsewhere
I personally would have the Same feelings as you on owning this .
sam2002

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:54 pm

I saw this machine when it was in Chicago and talked to the guy who made it. It was pretty obvious he spent a ton of time on it.

I couldn't figure out why he would do it and why would anyone want one unless it was really cheap (under $5,000).

At least it was done in a manner where it was totally obvious that it was a reproduction so there is NO WAY someone might think they were buying an original.

I agree that $40K would be much better spent on a nice upright then on this but to each his own. At least the buyer knows exactly what he is getting.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 am

Yes Boys:
I seen this contraption when it first hit the eBay block, and my first words were WTF!
What this all boils down to, is summed-up in just one word, "GREED". Followed by "STUPIDITY".
Show me just one True Collector, that would want Trash like this in their collection. It sure looks
great at first glance, but open the door, and see nothing but a 'wet dream'.

The only two known original Watling "Derby" machines, are truly the Rarest of all the Victorian Uprights.
Taking into account that there is really only ONE complete original. The other has a new case and external
castings. It was the first one to be found by the late Burton Burton, back in the late 1960's. He had found
the complete mechanism Only. It sat in his shop for many years, until the complete example showed up
many years later. At that time, is when the two persons got together, to have the case & castings made
for Burton's machine. I am pretty sure that when they hired the person to do the restorations, they had no
idea, that he was going to take it upon himself, to build five additional examples, with modern electronics
to drive it. Yes, it must have taken many hours to complete them, but in my estimation, it was a total waste
of time, and not worth the asking price, for something that is a TRUE FAKE!
This machine should never be reproduced, even if it was done EXACT, as it destroys the value of the two
originals. But for someone to duplicate it in an updated Modern Electronic version, is a complete Atrocity.
This is what happens, when Rare and Scarce machines get into the wrong persons hands, that have nerry a
care in the world about the meaning of a true collectable. And I repeat, "It's all for Greed"! Nuff said!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 am

I was actually happy that he didn't reproduce the guts.

There is no way this machine could ever be claimed as being an original restored machine.

The person buying it knows exactly what he is getting and can never claim he was lied to and in turn he can never try to sell it as an original.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay