Caille Upright "The Reliable"

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: Caille Upright "The Reliable"

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi Guy's,
Regarding Caille in France, I do not think that Caille had an actual factory in France,they did however have an agency at 20 Rue De La ChasusseeD'Autin, Paris. The Caille Reliable was made in 1897 in the Caille factory in Toledo Ohio, it was Caille's answer to the Mills Owl but after it failed to compete, they were shipped to Europe.

Caille tried to get into the wall machine business around 1905 the produced a machine called Le Notre (Ours) they thought that the French sounding name would attract the French operators, but the name meant nothing to the French. Caille also built two more wall machines under license the Stock Exchange under license from Gordon Smith and The Clown from the German company of Jentzsch & Meerz.

It is also my understanding that the first uprights produced in America by Mills and Caille at the turn of the century was inspired by the French wall models of the Roulette type of games that were so popular in Europe in the late 1800's. I have a copy of a consignment note from The Caille Brothers Company to Caille Brothers Paris for One Venus, Two Uncle Sams, Four Ben-Hurs and Spare Parts. also several Caille machines from there French Catalog with the Paris address on them.

Hope my imput helps to answer your questions.

Freddy Bailey
The Official British Coin Machine Historian
Anglobritish

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi Guy's,
Regarding Caille in France, I do not think that Caille had an actual factory in France,they did however have an agency at 20 Rue De La ChasusseeD'Autin, Paris. The Caille Reliable was made in 1897 in the Caille factory in Toledo Ohio, it was Caille's answer to the Mills Owl but after it failed to compete, they were shipped to Europe.

Caille tried to get into the wall machine business around 1905 the produced a machine called Le Notre (Ours) they thought that the French sounding name would attract the French operators, but the name meant nothing to the French. Caille also built two more wall machines under license the Stock Exchange under license from Gordon Smith and The Clown from the German company of Jentzsch & Meerz.

It is also my understanding that the first uprights produced in America by Mills and Caille at the turn of the century was inspired by the French wall models of the Roulette type of games that were so popular in Europe in the late 1800's. I have a copy of a consignment note from The Caille Brothers Company to Caille Brothers Paris for One Venus, Two Uncle Sams, Four Ben-Hurs and Spare Parts. also several Caille machines from there French Catalog with the Paris address on them.

Hope my imput helps to answer your questions.

Freddy Bailey
Anglobritish

Postby mechanic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 pm

FRED !!!!!! HOW MUCH INFO DO YOU HAVE ON THE CAILLE MFG CO. IN TOLEDO OH? I LIVE HERE AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOCATE AN ADDRESS FOR THEM. I HEARD THEY WERE ON WASHINGTON ST. BUT HAVE NOT FOUND THE NUMBER. IF IT WAS ON WASHINGTON ST THE BLDG MAY BE GONE AS 60% OF THE BLDGS ON THE STREET HAVE BEEN TORN DOWN. I HOPE IT WAS CLOSE TO THE DOWNTOWN AREA SOME OF THEM ARE STILL STANDING.
mechanic

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:45 am

Mills wrote:
SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Dave:
Caille had a factory in France, and built a multitude of different machines....

Never heard a Caille factory in France !
I know that Caille brother were born in France but they never built anything in France...

Mills:
I know for a fact, that Caille had a factory in France, as it had been documented by Dick Bueschel many years ago,
in all of his research. I'm sure that he put the info into one of his publications, but which one, I am not sure. Caille
did have offices at 20 Rue De La Chaussee d' Antin, in Paris, beginning around 1897. I also got similar information
from a long-time machine collector in France, that had a huge amount of French-Only machines, with French names,
that have never been seen here in the States, until some started to make their way over here in the late 70's, and
early 80's, as I have a few of them. But there are many others, that are super-ornate, that have still not been seen
here. I am not a big fan of most Foreign machines, but I had always taken a liking to many of the French machines,
because of their ornate castings, and the fact that no American versions had ever been built. The closest that any of
the French versions came to our American counterparts, were versions of our Mills "Elk", and Caille "Comet" & "Tiger".
Bill

Whoops! I started typing my note here, and was interrupted by company, and didn't finish it till after some of the
above was sent in, so excuse any repeat info. I will continue later, about info on the uprights.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Anglobritish » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:07 am

tumblr_ndhr13MmU41u140y3o1_500.jpg
Cailie Stock Exchange.jpg
Caille Perfection 1900-1.jpg
Caille Musical Floor model (Never cataloged)  1900 French Model.jpg
Caille Le' Oracle 1910.jpg
Caille Reliable 1897 French Model.jpg
Notice by the French Government banning Slot Machines 1914.jpg
Hi Guy's,
Sorry to disagree with Bill, but I am also certain that Caille did not have a manufacturing plant in France. The Caille Company started their first business behind their house at East Saginaw, Michigan in 1888, there were four partners in this venture Adolphe Caille his younger brother Arthur along with Jacob Scheimer and Robert Yates, they first started the Caille Cash Carrier Service supplying a money carrying service, they only got into the coin machine business after the newly formed Mills Novelty Company brought out their Owl model in 1897, they in turn built their Puck model, originally there were too seperate companies, The Caille Company and Caille-Scheimer, it was not until 1901 when Adolphe Caille moved to Detroit and was joined by his younger brother Arthur that they started The Caille Brothers Company, by this time Jacob Steimer and Robert Yates had left and started their own company also producing a version of the Puck model.

Has the Caille Brothers Company progressed they established field offices in several Countries including France, they had an office in Paris and one in Marsilles these were under the name of the Caille Novelty Company, they also had a close association with a French distributor by the name of Abel Nau, who was the main distributor for the U.S company Cowper, Abel Nau later formed his own company and went on to produce many variations of the popular wall model Roulette games, it is my understanding that Abel Nau did the conversions to the American Caille machines to suit the French market.

Regarding the Caille production facility in Toledo, Ohio, I know very little about it. I do know that when the company Caille-Scheimer was in business they had field offices in Chicago,Jersey City, San Francisco and Detroit (I know this because I have a token to that effect).

Although Dick Bueschel was a great researcher of machines, he specialized more in the various models made, than the history of the people behind those companies that made them, the most noted researcher into the family background of the various companies is without a doubt Nic Costa, especially in the European sector of the industry, I know this for a fact because I was around during the time that Nic was doing his research, and knew it to be factual because as a boy I was taken to meet most of the people who owned the European companies that Nic was writing about.

Most of my information regarding the Caille Brothers was in fact taken from some of the articles that Nic Costa wrote more than 35 years ago.
Also the most noted authorities on the French section of the industry is Jean-Claude Beudot who wrote a great book called Arcadia, Bernard De Witt a Paris coin machine dealer that was responsible for finding a cache of brand new Watling Rol-A-Tops and Pace models that was confiscated by the French customs in 1933 in Marseilles, Also another reason why Caille would not have had a factory in France was that The French government banned slot machine altogether on December 27th, 1914 that along with the German name of Caille that also did not go down well with the French who was at war with Germany at that time.
Find attached pictures of the Caille models taken from the Jean-Claude Beudot Arcadia book.

Freddy Bailey
Anglobritish

Postby toydoc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 am

The correct translation is to USE ONLY THE TOKENS rather than not to use the chips? Translators are only worth what they cost. I am referring to the translation of the machine instruction given above about 2004.
toydoc

Previous

Return to E-Bay