Jennings Dutch Boy

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Jennings Dutch Boy

Postby md171 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Anyone see the 1929 (I think) Jennings Dutch Boy on eBay? Listing just expired. It's a dime machine. Gooseneck looked like repop to me but the rest looked original. Back doors may have had some repair work. Looks like someone may also have painted it silver.... It's a local pick up and is not too far from me. Wondered if anyone had any opinions.

Item # 131806235931. The listing ended. I think you can run completed listings, if not hopefully the item number may help locate it. It's a dual payout.

I'm a little leary of it but interested. Thought I'd hit up the experts.....
md171

Re: Jennings Dutch Boy

Postby Richard13 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm

I saw that one and a Duchess up in South Bend but the local pick up only I can't do. And I have unemployed family there to for gosh sakes and they always come to the bank of Mr Natural. Bad part is they never pay back or seem to appreciate another months rent in their double wide. I have been burned a couple times on eBay machines sold by inexperienced slot sellers. Would rather have a slot guy check it out and send him the box I made to ship in and pay him some $$ for time and use of eyes. Old machines have dried up here in AZ.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu May 12, 2016 6:26 pm

OK Richard, here's my two-cents worth!
It is an original machine, that has had some semi-restoration work. The castings have had some polish work & repaint.
The gooseneck is original, and appears to have been replated, but has a gap, and does not fit down tightly into the top
casting. I doubt very much that it is a recast, because there is much more in the way of intricate areas of the two-piece
casting below, that you cant see, and it would take way more time that it is worth, to clean-up a recast, drill & tap holes,
etc., than it is worth. The award card is a decent original, although someone has pasted a paper over the payouts, and it
may come off by wetting, and floating-off the small piece. The reel strips are repros, and not the best quality. The large
back door, is a very poor repro, with a lot of cleanup to be done, inside & out, with extra holes, and may not fit properly.
The small back door is original, but has been broken & semi-repaired. Both locks are low quality replacements. Original
coin box. The mechanism is really cruddy, and most likely needs some cleanup of old grease, completely lubed, and some
springs replaced. If it were me, I would pass, because of all the issues, unless the price was more in the $800 range. The
starting price is not WAY-out-of-line, if it were in better shape, without the issues. Other than the work that has to be
performed on the back doors, the thing that bothers me the most, is why that gooseneck does not fit properly. I see one
half-assed, incorrect flathead machine screw, not cinched, but the gooseneck should match flush, even before the two
correct philister-head screws are installed.
Last, but not least, there is that famous of all words in the description. This machine IS NOT "RARE"! There are tons of them
in existence. They say it works, but if you really want to take the chance, being as you live a short distance from it, I would
play-the-hell-out-of-it, and most of all, get the price down, as I see several hours of labor to make it presentable.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Richard13 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Wow thanks for the review that's why I don't buy from auctions and flebay unless I can see it better or touch it or know the seller. I'll pass I absolutely HATE those repop back doors You are correct with shipping to me it would need to be closer to $500 and I doubt I have the energy to complete that pos.
Richard
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby md171 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:10 am

Wow. I knew I'd get a response like that here! Thanks for the awesome information. That's some of what I was thinking and a lot of of great insight into things that are yet to be learned. THANKS!!!!! What a great resource you all are!
md171

Return to E-Bay