***Possible Ebay Scam***

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

***Possible Ebay Scam***

Postby rtmccurdy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:20 am

Hello all-
There might be an issue with an ebay seller (massa-jonat) or someone using that account concerning three slot machines that were listed Monday June 6th. The machines are a Mills 5-cent Sweetheart QT, Mills 5-cent Basebal Front, and a Mills Bursting Cherry. He (or someone---trying not to defame) listed them for a while, received bids, and later cancelled the auctions. I sent an email (re: QT) asking about a missing ebay disclaimer and the cashbox and let him know I was interested in the machine if ebay cancelled the auction (included my cell number). I was one of three bidders. He later called and said that he was out of the country until June 15th and would I be interested in a cash (off ebay) deal. I agreed although something about the scenario was bothering me. I did ask for his email address in case I need to send a small deposit (he never sent it). When I got home I did a search on the QT Sweetheart to check past auction prices and up popped the exact group of pictures of that machine and the others as part of a Philip Weiss Auction on June 15th. You can bid early through liveauctioneers proxibids (20% buyers premium). Obviously the "seller" did not have possession of these machines and perhaps was working some kind of scam. I assume he contacted the other bidders on the QT and the other machines so I wanted to inform all---especially the bidders on the Mills Baseball machine. R. McCurdy
rtmccurdy

Re: ***Possible Ebay Scam***

Postby sam2002 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:16 am

Got a ver similar response on the baseball machine . More than likely a scammer .
sam2002

Postby sam2002 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 am

I am out of the country for another 9 days so I took it down. I am planning on doing a deal with someone off of eBay actually when I get back. So many people messaged me on it. It's still for sale if you come in with a higher price. What are you thinking on this piece??

- massa-jonat
sam2002

Postby Richard13 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Sounds like a scam. Buying thru eBay and PayPal you have some protection if you cut a deal in
the side and deal around eBay et al a fool and his money are soon parted in many instances.
Only way I would mess with his is if it was cash and carry. Find a local coinop member to go
verify the machine is legit and buy it then deal with shipping on the side.

I'm in Tempe AZ and would travel 100 miles or for another member to help a guy out like
this maybe if we all put our locations in our profiles or create another thread for this sort of
assistance I wonder what our coverage of the US would look like? We all know how to pack
A machine too so maybe less damage or loss of valuable machines too?

Richard
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:09 am

Doubt it's the same guy..... But awhile back a guy was listing a few slots he didn't have in his hands. he was stringing along people on Craigslist who had the slots for sale, then he used those images to post on e-ban, hoping a few people would fight over it= jack the price up. then he would buy the slot & move it along.... pocketing the difference.
if it sold on the "list", he would just kill the e-ban posting & find something else to post (that he didn't own).
Apparently he did well at this scam.
Any how......
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Return to E-Bay