Repro War Eagle

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Repro War Eagle

Postby watlingboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:01 am

A repro War Eagle if for sale on Ebay. Nothing new or exciting about that except this one is kind of humerous. It doesn't state that it is a reproduction but it does state that it was refurbushed by Royal Bell, manufactures of several different repro models. The best part is where they state that it is "A quite rare 5 cent model because most War Eagles made were quarter." The best way to get rid of bad machines is to take them to one of the Ebay stores. They sell it, you don't to take the bad emails and they print whatever you tell them. A great deal. The item number is 330013005292.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:25 am

I suggest that we contact them with a "friendly" email telling them the machine is a fake and give them a chance to update the listing accordingly.

If they don't update it we can take further action including notifying E-Bay.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:03 pm

I sent a note to the seller.

He had the courtesy to respond.

He says the seller insists the machine is an authentic War Eagle. Unfortunately, the way these reproductions were marketed the seller might actually believe he does have an original War Eagle.

However, he is going to contact the owner for more information.

If the owner refuses to acknowledge the fact that it is not an original then I think the person running the auction should insist that the owner provide a written statement stating that the machine is an original War Eagle. That is, provide a statement of authenticity. This will protect the seller in case the person who buys it later can prove it is a fake and notifies E-Bay.

I suggested he come here to look at the other posts about fake War Eagles and I also sent him a link to an article on how to identify fake Mills machines.

For now, I am going to assume he is going to do the due diligence of verifying the machine and once he determines the machine is a fake he will update the listing accordingly or state the owner will provide a certificate of authenticity.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:10 pm

I had a pretty good dialog going with the seller. However, he went silent when I asked for the serial numbers on the machine. I have sent him other emails and not heard a word. I guess he figures sticking his head in the sand is the way to go.

If he is referring to my emails as harrasments then that is totally uncalled for. All of my emails have been very professional. However, it appears other people have also contacted him.

I think he is totally confused on whether the machine is real or not. According to his response the owner swears it is and so do other people.

I think he has covered himself in the email response. I just wish he would not have gone silent on the emails I sent to him.

Here are some photos of the machine:

To go to the listing click http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330013005292

Here is the description:

Here is a magnificent and HARD TO FIND early 1930's WAR EAGLE nickle slot machine in EXCELLENT WORKING CONDITION! In our capacity as eBay Sellers Assistant, we are offering this beautiful slot machine for auction. This nickle machine is quite rare, as most WAR EAGLES are quarter machines.

This nickle WAR EAGLE was refurbished by ROYAL BELL, in Denver, Colorado, and comes complete with keys, of course. It is simply beautiful, a perfect addition to your new game room!

SHIPPING: Since this item weighs 80 pounds, it will have to be packed and shipped by freight. We are, therefore, offering it for LOCAL PICKUP, here in Punta Gorda, Florida, in which case there will be NO SHIPPING CHARGE whatsoever. We feel that a set price for shipping is not fair to those who live closer, so we will ship this item for the ACTUAL COST OF SHIPPING and pretty much at the buyers discretion as to company. We'll do everything we can to cooperate with the buyer so that this fabulous Slot Machine will be in the winner's home as soon as possible.

PAYMENT: Payment is due within 7 days of the close of the auction and may be made with Paypal, Money Order, Check (which will hold up shipping while check clears) and also offer Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express as payment methods. Please call us, if you are the winner, with your credit card information at (941)575-0335 if you wish to use this method of payment.

We never sold a Slot Machine before, but are in contact with the owner so that you may have your questions, if you have any, answered promptly. He has another machine he plans to sell after this one! Please read the DISCLAIMER below, required by eBay policy and state laws.

"Due to laws regulating the sale of Antique Slot Machines, I, as the seller, will NOT sell to members in the states of Alabama, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Nebraska, South Carolina and Tennessee. Bids from members residing in any of these states will be cancelled."

and here is a response to a question
Q: hi is this machine a repoduction thanks jack
Aug-03-06
A: Hi Jack! I have consulted the owner who purchased the machine in the early 80's from Royal Bell in Denver, Co, and I have also consulted Royal Bell, who restored the machine. They have both assured me that this machine has been restored and is not a reproduction. I have been harrassed by a couple of other eBayers regarding this machine, and I only have the word of the owner and of Royal Bell to go by. I suggest you contact Royal Bell if you have any questions about it. They know this machine, as does the owner. I have represented it accordingly in my listing and personally have no interest in or knowledge of old slot machines. This is a fabulous machine and would made a wonderful addition to a game room. Best wishes, Hope Lumis
Dave
Site Admin

Repro war Eagle

Postby watlingboy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:09 pm

I guess you can have a completely reproduction cabinet but a few original mech parts and still say it is not a reproduction. I don't get it. Also the comment about the 5 cent being rare as most were 25 cent machines is true when talking about reproduction machines as most repros are quarter. As far as that being true about an original, give me a break. We were in the middle of a depression when these were made. Common sense tells you that is not true.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Re: Repro war Eagle

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:28 pm

watlingboy wrote:I guess you can have a completely reproduction cabinet but a few original mech parts and still say it is not a reproduction. I don't get it. Also the comment about the 5 cent being rare as most were 25 cent machines is true when talking about reproduction machines as most repros are quarter. As far as that being true about an original, give me a break. We were in the middle of a depression when these were made. Common sense tells you that is not true.

Watlingboy

If this machine is so rare and hard to find, how come you can still order as many as you want? The seller knows they are still available yet still insists the machine is rare.

I can hardly wait to see the next machine he is going to list. Oh well, just more ammo to use to report to E-Bay.

Check out http://www.royalbell.com/golden_eagle.php
Dave
Site Admin

Postby anonymousCollector » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 am

Doesn't this listing violate the E-Bay rules on slot machines?

Couldn't the seller get into trouble and get deregistered for violating the rules?
anonymousCollector

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 pm

Just an update. The machine sold for $1,632.77.

The person who bought it had only 3 feedbacks.

From looking at what the buyer bought previously he looks to be a relatively new collector. He bought a Diamond Front and a Vest Pocket with most of the guts removed and participated in a Private Auction from igtmachines.

I hope he knows what he is doing.
Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay