Mills Token Bell

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Mills Token Bell

Postby edgeCity » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:24 pm

I am considering purchasing this machine. Any opinions on this machine would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232143489893?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
edgeCity

Re: Mills Token Bell

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:39 am

I thought this got removed , guess not.

A bit high on the price to me. escalator from another machine , note the red paint over spray. As shown ,not original factory paint colors either but , does look nice.
only made with the green paint job, also note the back side photo of green paint over spray on the wood. little odd for either , ( note inside casting shows the green as it should) since the casting should have been painted first , then added to the wood & parts assembled.
great condition of the decal on the glass, many are gone or a less detailed reproduction is in there. "wrong" tokens for this machine. originals actually say token bell on them.

little hard to find, well sought after machine.
I'll look at those photos again. ask the seller some "basic " question , shows you have a clue. see what kind of response you get & see if he will deal on it.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 am

edgeCity:
Nice machine, that doesn't turn up often. Has been repainted, (incorrectly), and the case has been stripped
to the natural wood. These models all came in Green, with Gold trim. The case was painted as well. You can
see the overspray of the original green paint, on the inside pics of the case and castings.

Shown below is a pix of a 25c excellent original, which I believe belongs to one of our Forum members, as he
has a set of each denomination.
Mills 25c 'Token Bell' HighTop (orig)1.jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby edgeCity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:25 am

JHSS-1944 wrote:I thought this got removed , guess not.

A bit high on the price to me. escalator from another machine , note the red paint over spray. As shown ,not original factory paint colors either but , does look nice.
only made with the green paint job, also note the back side photo of green paint over spray on the wood. little odd for either , ( note inside casting shows the green as it should) since the casting should have been painted first , then added to the wood & parts assembled.
great condition of the decal on the glass, many are gone or a less detailed reproduction is in there. "wrong" tokens for this machine. originals actually say token bell on them.

little hard to find, well sought after machine.
I'll look at those photos again. ask the seller some "basic " question , shows you have a clue. see what kind of response you get & see if he will deal on it.
jeff H.

Jeff, thanks for your observations. Would you mind telling me what 'questions' I should ask the seller? This would be my first slot machine (I've wanted one ever since I was a kid!) -- it's only a two-hour drive from where I live so that's a plus. Also, what would you consider a reasonable offer? Your help is much appreciated!
. . . nelson
edgeCity

Postby edgeCity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:30 am

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:edgeCity:
Nice machine, that doesn't turn up often. Has been repainted, (incorrectly), and the case has been stripped
to the natural wood. These models all came in Green, with Gold trim. The case was painted as well. You can
see the overspray of the original green paint, on the inside pics of the case and castings.

Shown below is a pix of a 25c excellent original, which I believe belongs to one of our Forum members, as he
has a set of each denomination.
Mills 25c 'Token Bell' HighTop (orig)1.jpg

. . . thanks for your observations. I especially appreciate the foto, which I've kept for future reference!
nelson
edgeCity

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 am

Well idle chit chat helps sometimes. ask if the keys / locks are original or replacement. if it plays & pays as it should. if it has the paper tag on the inside with it's ser. # (looks like it does but, hard to see.).
get the reply back ,thank him a lot for it. then ask about the restoration it has , done by him or ? then point out in colors "not" from the factory, ect. , ect. = Be nice ! then just admit you've been looking for one on & off for awhile but, not in the correct paint ,ect. ... do any better o the price ?
Make sure the seller knows "your just down the road from him"....
can't hurt to ask , specially when you know it's not exactly from the factory , & now he knows ,you know.
jeff
p.s. , just because I think it's a little high in price, means nothing. you're the one buying it with your hard earned money !!
JHSS-1944

Postby edgeCity » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:55 am

"He who hesitates . . . " -- alas, evidently someone else has snagged the Token Bell!
My search continues . . .
edgeCity

Postby rtmccurdy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 am

It may be pricey but there is a very nice all original Mills Token Bell for sale on Bill Darwin's slot machine website.
rtmccurdy

Postby edgeCity » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:24 pm

. . . here's another listing (on Craigslist). Not fancy but the price seems right. Any opinions?
Thanks . . . nelson

http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/5882292289.html
edgeCity

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:56 am

Well sorry about the other one.
this one would be the first of the Mills high tops to be made, very basic , but nice. condition over all is very nice on this one. has a counter for the J.P. too. I own it's sisters in 10 cent & 25 cent. price is good. first , ask the seller what else he has. he might have something else that you would rather buy ,if you knew about it.
will have to eye ball the photos better but, no red flags so far.
if you really want a token bell version , hold on to your money for that. can't put that $850.00 back into your pocket next week if a T.B. shows up for sale. or you can be like me & own to many of them.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Next

Return to E-Bay