EBay Fraud Warning

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

EBay Fraud Warning

Postby HSaidman » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:19 pm

I noticed this with Coca Cola Chewing gum items and other items, but it is only a matter of time it extends to coin-op.

This is the scam. The Seller has a Private auction with what looks like to be a rare Coca Cola piece that is worth over $15,000. He lists a copy of the real item on Ebay for a low bid of like a $1. In this description he says someone gave it to him to sell, and he knows nothing about it. He then says it looks old, but he is not sure and not an expert. He also says, NO RETURN UNLESS Described incorrectly. Well the bidder thinks he found a bargain and bids it up. He then gets it and realizes it is a fake. When he tries to return it, the sellers say, I never said I was sure it was old, and I only started it out as a $1.

The other variation is they list it in a catagory that says 1970 to modern. So you think he put it in the wrong catagory, but when you try to return it he says no, because it was in the catagory for 1970 - current which it is.

Now here is the real rub. The Seller in the Coca Gum Die-cut has over 60 negative feedbacks. When the sign got to over $4,000 I emailed him, to let him know it was a fake, and that I know he knows it was a fake. I then reported him to Ebay as well as Coca Cola. Well he forwards my email to EBAY saying I am trying to buy the item outside of ebay and saying it is a fake to get it cheap. Ebay then blocks my account, so I have to call them, and emails anyone I had ever contacted to warn them not to sell me something out of Ebay. I got it straighted out with Ebay but the seller still ripped someone off.
HSaidman

Postby cpdretired » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:18 am

Please post this persons eBay user ID.
cpdretired

Fraud Auction

Postby HSaidman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:04 am

The auction I was talking about is 280048188252 and the seller ID is rare_estate_finds. Look at the other items, or feedback of this seller. There was another guy with fake coca cola gum signs from Chile, and I saw another with Fake Coca Cola Gum Fans from Australia.

Granted it is not coin-op but many of us collect other items, and it is only a matter of time until someone does this in our field. I did get an email from Coca Cola and they are forwarded it to the legal department. I am not sure how interested they will be.

One other Ebay tip someone told me about. If you see a Seller with a rare item and your not sure if they really have it, ask for a picture that would be usual. Like a side view of the lock. If they stole the photos off another site, or it is a fake second chance offer, they are not going to be able to provide you with another picture.
HSaidman

Postby cpdretired » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:47 am

Almost all of the auctions that this person puts up is private. The reason that he is doing it is to prevent someone communicating with the bidder. You knew it was a fake but there is no way for you to inform a bidder. We are not the eBay police but I hate to see someone taken by a reproduction.
cpdretired

Return to E-Bay