Shill Bidding

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Shill Bidding

Postby HSaidman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:35 pm

I am not sure how others feel, but obvious shill bidding on Ebay annoys me. Look at auction 280058993911 for a Blue Pulver. The seller is relatively new and in NJ. All of the sudden this another new bidders appears and he is also in NJ.

Early in the week I saw a Match Machine from a new seller. There were 3 different bidders on it, 2 were new, and none of the 3 ever bid on coin-op before. A few clicks of the mouse showed the seller and the high bidder had the same last name and lived in the same house. All of the bidders and the seller were from KS. Ebay closed all of those names down.

Fun with Ebay
HSaidman

Postby cpdretired » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:03 pm

:D Come on you know what he is going to do with the Pulver. He is going to put the $3.99 Koala Bear inside. :-D
cpdretired

Pulver

Postby HSaidman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:35 pm

That was cute. I am betting someone emailed him and said, "heh I will give you $1,500 for this machine if you end it now." So now he uses a shill bidder to get it just right to the $1,500 mark. Personally I hope people let him get stuck with it.

The one earlier in the week, was really bad. If you clicked on previous names of the current high bidder, his screen name, had the same last name as the seller. If you put the names into www.zabasearch.com they were husband and wife.

I am starting to yearn for the days when Ebay did not exist, and you bought stuff face to face, or out of the Antique Trader.
HSaidman

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:27 pm

With eBay's policy change about not showing the actual bidder list I'll bet there will be a lot more shill bidding going on.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay