New Type of EBAY FRAUD

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

New Type of EBAY FRAUD

Postby HSaidman » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:32 am

There is a new type of fraud on ebay. What some are doing is copying the pictures and descriptions from real auctions that have ended. They then hack into another sellers account that has a lot of feedback. They then list the auction. The auctions are usually private. They are usually listed for a short period of time like a day. They typically use 2 catagories to list one of which makes no sense. They also put something in the ad to say, Contact me at ******** to buy it now.

In the past week I saw a rare peanut vendor and last night a rare display case for chewing gum. Ebay did remove them.

What I also notice, is where they added something to buy it now, the english is poor. Like contact them @, instead of contact me @. I would also click on other items the seller has and see if he has a bunch of crap up all for the same buy it now price. In the one case the seller only ever sold cheap automotive parts and now has over 1,000 auctions listed for rare antiques to plasma tvs.

Finally if you put the sellers name into ebay seller search it will give you the state in which the person is registered. Is the auction says they are somewhere else that is a clue.

ALSO, one trick you can use. Ask the seller for another picture, that he does not have. If he has the item he obviously can do the picture. If he stole the pictures from a closed auction he cannot.
HSaidman

Return to E-Bay