Daval Cub Sold for $1,035.00

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Daval Cub Sold for $1,035.00

Postby cpdretired » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:25 am

I just had to post this. Follow the link to the eBay auction. This is not my auction but I wish it was.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6142975461
cpdretired

$1000.00 Cub on eBay????

Postby Ric Gandy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:02 pm

Don't believe everything you see on eBay. This Cub did NOT sell for $1,035.00 as it would otherwise appear. This was just another one of those BS "now you see it, now you don't" auctions. The high bidder did not pay for the machine. The seller then offered it to the second highest bidder, a retired couple from Australia, but by then they had sense enough to realize that something wasn't right so they declined the offer. They also now realize that a Cub is not a $1,000.00 machine and hopefully won't make that kind of mistake again.

Was this a scam from the get go? Possibly, but possibly not. There is another explanation for how this could have happened. If the high bidder had entered his bid with a comma instead of a period, say $500,00 instead of $500.00, eBay picks this up as $5,000.00 or $50,000.00 or something higher and different from $500.00 instead of kicking the bid back as a nonsense bid. If the bidder is not paying attention, he could have submitted the much higher bid without realizing it. It has happened to me before when I was in a hurry and not really paying attention to what I was doing. I had to retract the bid. That is the only way to correct it and eBay has not done anything to prevent this from happening although the problem has been brought to their attention. So maybe the auction ended and the high bidder was given the "good news" that he had just won the auction with a bid of $1,035.00. What the hell? This explanation requires that you give everyone involved the benefit of the doubt. Not sure exactly what happened, but that Cub did not sell for $1,035.00. As Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story". Ric Gandy
Ric Gandy

Return to E-Bay