Rol-A-Top with Side Shooter Skill Mechanism

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Rol-A-Top with Side Shooter Skill Mechanism

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:13 pm

This is a fairly unusual Rol-A-Top with a side shooter skill attachment. When a winning combination is hit the machine does not pay out anything until the player pulls the plunger and launches a steel ball which must hit a target. Once the target is hit the machine pays out. Thus making it a game of skill and a dodge around the anti gambling laws that were in various areas of the country. I don't think this dodge was that succesful since so few of these machines with these attachments have been found.

This machine and one just like it showed up at the Chicagoland show many years ago. Larry Debaugh was the owner and he said it is the only two he has ever seen. He said he has had other Rol-A-Tops with a hole drilled in the left side and until he found these he had no idea what the hole was for.

Larry bought these machines in different parts of the country. Once my friend and I purchased the machines we looked at them closely and amazingly enough they had consecutive serial numbers. Pretty amazing since Larry bought them in totally different parts of the country.

I have left my machine in the condition it was found, my friend completely restored his.

A couple of years ago Larry gave me a call and asked me what the serial number was. He was curious because he had located another one.

To my knowledge, these are the only three Rol-A-Tops found which have this side shooter skill mechanism.

If anyone has anything else to add, I would love to hear it. I would also like to find some literature which describes these machines with this attachment.
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pictures