Newbe with an unknown machine

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Newbe with an unknown machine

Postby tazmantic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi all new here and to slot machines,

Ive just picked up my first slot machine and while searching the internet to try find out what I could about it was pointed in this direction, I know next to nothing about slots but have always wanted one so when this came up I had to have it.

It was not working when I picked it up as the guy had got it as a restoration project but just didnt find the time, but after a bit of tinkering I got the mechanisum running though it still needs work, a few parts and the case needs tidying. I think the mechanisum is a gunter wulff but I cant find anything that looks like it at all so it could be a miss match of bits I really dont know so Ive attached a couple of pics and if any one could give me any info it would be great.....

Cheers
Attachments
13751_445711715483241_684826620_n.jpg
544030_445711695483243_545226249_n.jpg
tazmantic

Re: Newbe with an unknown machine

Postby TheFatman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Looks like a German slot. Kinda cool looking. You probably wont see that type of mech posted online. If you do ... send me a link.
Not a highly produced slot. Good luck,
TheFatman

Postby tazmantic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi thanks for the reply and was thinking that after searching the net, there seems to be quite a few German machines that used this type of mechanism though so was hoping I could find some info on it.....
tazmantic

Postby TheFatman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Keep you interest in slots going. Try to focus on Mills, Jennings, Pace and Watling machines. These are easy to work on and the parts are very available. Try to read up on them to learn how to tell the difference between re-manufactured and originals. If you can ... ask someone who knows before you buy your next investment.
TheFatman

Postby andydotp » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi tazmantic,
Yep, sure looks like German origin to me, but I'm no expert on the Roto/Lotto and other -Mats.

TheFatman wrote:Keep you interest in slots going. Try to focus on Mills, Jennings, Pace and Watling machines. These are easy to work on and the parts are very available. Try to read up on them to learn how to tell the difference between re-manufactured and originals. If you can ... ask someone who knows before you buy your next investment.

This is very sound advice from TheFatman if you're planning on more machines. They can become rather addictive, believe me!
It can be one heck of a learning curve this slot machine hobby and many of us have doubtless made impulse purchases in our formative collecting days only to regret forking out our hard-earned because we didn't know any better.
Fortunately you've come to a good place here for advice, opinions and tittle-tattle. I sense however that there's not much collector interest in USA for European machines. You might like to duplicate your post on pennymachines.co.uk in The Forum. It's like here, free to join but chock-full of English, European and American experts (in the true sense). There are threads dedicated to the German machines just like yours. Good luck.
(Hope the above bit's OK Dave, apols & delete if you think I'm out of line).
Regards,
andydotp
andydotp

Postby treefrog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 am

I have one of these (See below).....This is a British machine called the Princess, possibly made in Southend-on-Sea.....often distributed by a company called Ameco... They operate on the old british penny 1D....

Ad you say it has German Gunter Wulf mechanism. There are loads of variants of these in Britain. I like this one as they have a nice quality wooden front, possibly made of Beech...Yours looks like the glass graphics have peeled or been stripped. Getting the payouts working can be a job, as the parts are often made of poor metal quality.

Let me know if you need any help,

Treefrog - UK
Attachments
princess2.JPG
treefrog

Postby tazmantic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks guys for all your help and advice, and a quick look on the penny machines site and Ive found a picture of one just like it :D its a princess by ameco its basicaly a re cased beromat....will put link if thats ok??

And Ill deff keep my interest going Im already looking for others :D but Ill deff ask for advice before I buy another but as this one was I recon cheap compared to what ive seen machines going for im still :-D
tazmantic

Postby TheFatman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Set the hook and its over.....your hooked ... ya got the bug. Me too along with alot of other good people. Keep looking, a great deal of enjoyment comes from the hunt. But the big bonus comes from the "Great find of a great buy". My last one was a Mills Black Cherry all original for 4oo$. I still feel the rush from the find. They were happy... I was happier, I think. They are still out there but hard to find. But keep on looking and hopefully one will find you.
TheFatman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm

tazmantic
Being a Newby in our hobby, I can't stress enough, that you read as much as you can, before purchasing more machines. There are threads in this Forum, some of which include videos, explaining most of what to look out for, regarding Reproduction Slot Machines. Many of the reproduction machines, started in the early 1980's. The Mills "Lion Head" started even sooner than that. The machine that has been Phonied the most since the 8o's, is the Mills "War Eagle". Three or four different sources have been doing them. One was reproing the entire machine, including the entire mechanism. Other examples do not even have a coin escalator. They glued coins in the window for looks. Many do not have an operating Jackpot. There were so many people getting screwed with the "War Eagle" sales on eBay a couple of years ago, that they shut down all auctions that listed them. Even the people that were selling an original one. Since then, most of it has quieted-down, and you will still see one
listed, that does not say what it really is. Some posted a flat-out lie, saying things like, "This was my grandfather's machine, and it has been in our family for over 40 years". If you are mechanically inclined, and like to work on machines yourself, the best ones to buy, are the dirty & grubby looking examples. Other machines to read our threads about, are the Trade Stimulators. There are many Bogus examples by one person inparticular, coming out of Las Vegas, that takes perfectly-good-original machines, and Bastardizes them into something that they Never Were. Even down to Phoney Made-Up reel strips & award cards, and using recast parts from other mfrs. machines, like Jackpots. They can be seen on eBay, as well as every VCA auction, and every Chicago-Land Show. Way too many of our unsuspecting new collectors have been Snookered with this Crap. Some that have found out later, as to what they had bought, tried to get the seller to take it back, and refused, only to be Lied To. There is one recent exception to this. One person did get him to take a Phoney machine back, from an eBay sale, and issue a refund. More of this needs to happen. If there are any of our readers here, that feel they might have bought one of these Bogus examples in the past, send photo's of it to me, at (slotdynasty@sbcglobal.net), and I will get back to you with an honest answer. For many years, our coin-op hobby has been made up of good, and honest people to buy & trade with. But as in any hobby, there are some that focus more on GREED, than anything else.
Welcome to our coin-op hobby, tazmantic, and don't get swayed by those chosen-few.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby tazmantic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 am

Thanks again for the advice luckily this one was from someone I know so thought it should be ok and at £40 I think I did ok??? The only place I'm lookin at mo is eBay so ill be wary and ask people's opinion before I part with the cash :0)
tazmantic

Return to Pictures