daval tally

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

daval tally

Postby wdjs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Does anyone Have a picture of an original daval tally? I'm restoring one that was repainted and want to make the colors right. Thanks
wdjs

Re: daval tally

Postby altort » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 pm

I have one that I restored to very close factory colors I can post before and after pictures if you want.
altort

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm

wdjs:
Before you start on this project of repainting your "Tally", you will have to take into consideration, that the Tally was produced in more than one color scheme.
At least six color-combo original variations that I have seen, plus three single-color versions. The most common of the multi-color examples, is Blue & Tan with Orange.
My favorite is the Blue & Yellow with Orange. The one pictured on page 145, (lower right), of Dick Bueschel's Trade Stimulator book, is one that I restored several
years ago, and all photo's of it are on 35mm. This was long before digital photo's were the norm. The machine was sold long ago, and was again resold on eBay, in
July 2006. I do have a pix or two of it from the eBay sale in a file, which I will look for, and post. So, it all boils down to what your preference is. If you want to stay
with an original color scheme, you will have to see several variations to pick from. There may be one or two still in the eBay 'completed items' listings, but you have
to be aware that it may be an Incorrect Repaint. The two I have in my collection at this time, are not restored. One has faded original colors, and the other is a
single color version.
Bill

I found the pix.

Daval 'Tally' Cigarette (S.D.Rest.).jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby wdjs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Did daval make a tally without a gum view hole or is this thing a repro.
Attachments
picture005.jpg
wdjs

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:42 pm

wdjs;
The tally did not have a gum view hole;
just the gum filler chute on back door and dispenser hole on front (with a flap cover).

Bill;
I have Tally number 5559;
it is the common blue and tan with orange color.
I think the paint may be original, but it looks too good; may have been repainted.
On mine, the small cash box door on front is painted blue.
In the photo you posted, the cash box door is unpainted.
Which is correct? Painted or unpainted or both?
This may give a clue whether mine has original paint or not.

Thanks,
Jim
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Thank you for bringing this feature to my attention. Yes, the Tally came in two variations. One version had a small circular gumball view window at the
top left of the casting, and one did not. Yours does not have this window. Daval had a habit of making very suttle changes in some of their models, but
why they did something like this is beyond me, as all models had the same gumball mechainism. This dinky view window is rather silly, all you can see
in it is one or two balls if the compartment is full to the top. After that, you would need a flashlight to see anything. You'd see more by just looking in
the loading door on the back. They also made another change to a casting on some.
Rest assured, that you have an original machine. Nobody has ever repoed the Tally. There would be no reason, as it is a very common machine, which
is in the affordable price range. The only parts that I, or anyone else has recast for this machine, is the small coin door on the lower front, and gum-exit
swing-door, which are sometimes missing. I have also reprinted the strips & card for this machine. The cigarette symbols seem to be the most popular in
this model, judging from my sales. I would also like to get the serial number from your machine, for my History Update Files. I do not have many serials
for the Tally without the view window, and would like to see if yours fits into the same time-frame as the others. The serial will be stamped on the back
edge of the lower casting, just below the door. It could also be stamped on the underside, in which you would have to turn the swivel plate to see it.
Hopefully your machine is complete, and your restoration turns out well. By the way, what repaint colors were on your machine when you purchased it?
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

As an addition.........I don't know where that "DINK" symbol came from. I didn't place it there.
Even though it's cleaver, the word is supposed to be "dinky".
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Wow! I didn't even see your last post, before I wrote the above. You have already answered a couple of my questions. Thanks for the serial.
Regarding the painting of the lower front coin door, this is another variation. Some were, and some were not. Mine was not painted, which
I really prefer better. Reason being, if the door is opened a lot, over time, the paint is bound to get it's share of chips. But usually not the
case, if it is in a collection, and doesn't get handled much. So, this is your choice. If you want total originality, then paint it. Also, I have
seen a couple of machines with the gumball exit swing-door painted. That is NOT correct. Just the letters, and circle are orange, like on
mine above.
One other thing I forgot to ask. To go along with the serial, I need to know which reel strips you have, and if the coin entry plate says:
"One Cent", "Five Cents", or "Coin Here". Thanks
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Jim:
I must really be 'loosing-it'. Now I notice that the serial number above is from you, and not (wdjs). Hopefully I haven't confused him as well.
I am sure you sent me #5559 before, but did you tell me which strips, and coin entry lettering?

wdjs:
I still need your serial, reel strip symbols, and coin entry lettering.
I didn't mention before, that the background color on the 'One cent' & 'Coin Here' plates are Red, and the 'Five Cent' is yellow.

Now lets see if I can get my brain back in gear, before any more posts! #-o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 am

wdjs:
Sorry; I did not realize that the Tally came in variations; with and without gumball view window until Bill informed us here.
The man is a walking encyclopedia of trade stimulator knowledge!
I've had my Tally for 20 years and have never noticed the ones with the view window were different from mine.
Now I have to get a second Tally; one with the window!

Along that same line;
I've had a Daval Reel Dice for over 20 years and never knew that there were variations of the case design on that model until Bill informed me of it fairly recently.

Bill;
Thank you for setting the record straight;
I don't have access to my Tally right now,
but will send you a PM within 24 hours with details on it (reel strips/coin entry) for your serial number file.
nvmos2

Next

Return to Pictures