New Pics of 5¢ and 10¢ Mills War Eagle Slot Macines

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

New Pics of 5¢ and 10¢ Mills War Eagle Slot Macines

Postby CLB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Slot machines - side by side.jpg
Slot Machine - 10¢ - ront.jpg
slot machine  5¢ - handle.jpg
Slot machine 10¢ - handle.jpg

I realized I uploaded a pic of the wrong 10¢ machine last time. Sorry about that. The other does not belong to my dad. These are the two he wants to sell. These have been in my family since 1939 or 40. My dad was 9 or 10 at the time. Both machines have had no restoration. They have been in the basement for years so are really dirty. The reels on both have a cream colored background.Any comments as to how to best list them and at what price would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheryl
Last edited by CLB on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CLB

Re: New Pics of 5¢ and 10¢ Mills War Head Slot Macines

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 am

Hi Cheryl:
Wow! What a pleasure to see two bone-stock original "War Eagle" machines, that have been in the same family for so long.
I truly believe this story. Not like the sellers on fleaBay, that are constantly telling a similar story, about how the machine
has been in the family for over 50 years, and was found in grandpa's attic, and it is obvious, that it is one of the many phoney
Reproduction "War Eagle"s from the 1980's to present. These are perfect machines, for the new collector, that wants a nice
original to start off with. The 5c machine is totally original, whereas the 10c machine, was repainted at some point, years ago.
Most likely by an operator, as Mills would not have sent a machine out with this color, and a back door to match. Since the
beginnings of all Mills Gooseneck, and Half-Top models, the doors were painted either dark brown woodgrain, or smooth dark
brown. Later models were getting the black wrinkle finish on the doors. If you are going to list the two machines separately
on eBay, a good opening bid would be $850, with a reserve. They should bring from $1,000 to $1,500 easy, as many of the junk
repro's bring over that. Just make sure to have a very detailed, and accurate description. Good luck.

Additionally: As a buyer, on the 5c machine, I would tend to just clean up the case & castings, as a good percentage of the orig.
paint is intact. Install a new set of glass panels, and award card. Tune up the mechanism, and away-you-go. As far as the 10c
machine, it would be really neat to leave as is, (because it was done so many years ago), and just clean it up, and also replace
the glass, and award card. There may be an issue with the tuning of the mechanism, as I notice that the dimes in the escalator
appear to be jammed, as they are riding too close together. Have you played both of these machines? If so, and they seem to
be working fine, you can add that to the description as well.

If you have any additional questions, you can reach me at slotdynasty@sbcglobal.net
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 am

CLB wrote:
Slot machines - side by side.jpg
Slot Machine - 10¢ - ront.jpg
slot machine 5¢ - handle.jpg
Slot machine 10¢ - handle.jpg

I realized I uploaded a pic of the wrong 10¢ machine last time. Sorry about that. The other does not belong to my dad. These are the two he wants to sell. These have been in my family since 1939 or 40. My dad was 9 or 10 at the time. Both machines have had no restoration. They have been in the basement for years so are really dirty. The reels on both have a cream colored background.Any comments as to how to best list them and at what price would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheryl

I am interested in the two machines if you are located somewhere in the midwest. I prefer to pick machines up in person rather than have them shipped.
oldslotman

Postby CLB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Thank you for your comments. The machines are located in Baker, Montana. This is a small town in Eastern Montana. These machines were purchased by my great uncle for his bar. He was forced to remove them after a short time due to illegal gambling laws at the time. At that time, they were moved to the family home and have been in the basement. As a child, they provided great entertainment for my friends at slumber parties! They've not had any action in the last 25 years. My brother still lives in town so I will ask him to stick a coin in each and see what happens. For the gentleman from the Midwest, my brother travels to Rapid City, South Dakota several times each month. I also have pics of the machine backs if anyone wants to see them.
CLB

Postby CLB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm

One other question, should we clean them up before listing them or is it best not to do anything to them?
Thanks,
Cheryl
CLB

Postby TheFatman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 pm

My friend ... I feel that you need to leave them just the way they are. Original and intact. The collectors will do the rest.
Wonderful machines for a collector of which there many. Keep your price strong as to your suggestions.
Dave
TheFatman

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 pm

CLB wrote:Thank you for your comments. The machines are located in Baker, Montana. This is a small town in Eastern Montana. These machines were purchased by my great uncle for his bar. He was forced to remove them after a short time due to illegal gambling laws at the time. At that time, they were moved to the family home and have been in the basement. As a child, they provided great entertainment for my friends at slumber parties! They've not had any action in the last 25 years. My brother still lives in town so I will ask him to stick a coin in each and see what happens. For the gentleman from the Midwest, my brother travels to Rapid City, South Dakota several times each month. I also have pics of the machine backs if anyone wants to see them.

I could most likely do Rapid City if we could work out a price. It would save you cost of listing and eBay fees and shipping and packaging. I will send you a message with my phone number.
oldslotman

Re: New Pics of 5¢ and 10¢ Mills War Eagle Slot Macines

Postby TJ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Create a document detailing the history of the machines, with names dates and places to the best of your recollection to go with the machines. It is very desirable to have a nice account of how the machines got to the present place in time. As for value, let me tell you that serious collectors would almost give up eye teeth for those machines. So beware of those that put a low value, they may want to turn a quick profit. I have a nice original War Eagle with vendor in 5 cent denomination, so not in the market now. Good luck.
TJ

Return to Pictures