Something other than a slot machine....

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Re: Something other than a slot machine....

Postby clubconsoles » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for your kind offer.
I think I have the frame parts but I need the mirror but shipping it across the atlantic would not be an option!
I can get a mirror cut no problem.
Now if you had a spare cast spool, the type with several holes drilled in it, I would buy that from you!!

Regards
Nigel
clubconsoles

Postby gamblingman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Ahhh, the impossible to find spool. Those things are hard to find in decent shape. I had an extra from the parts-machines I bought, but I managed to mangle one cleaning it. Jim told me they were fragile....I had no idea just how fragile. I've thought several times about trying to have them re-created out of aluminum. I'm betting they could be turned pretty quickly.....the tricky part is getting the bore for the main shaft to be exactly straight.

Last week I saw an ad on Craigslist out in CA for a Jewel Box and Deluxe upper that a guy sold as a pair for 1000. They looked intact, just minus the front door and a few minor odds and ends. I contacted him, but missed the sale by one day. I hope whomever bought them, brings them back to life.

I am just finishing the Jewel Box Upper...see attached pic. I am waiting on the mirror for the background, and I will have the base ready for trim this weekend. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Joe
4.jpg
3.jpg
gamblingman

Postby gamblingman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Nigel...just as an update, the two diggers I said I missed out in California.....well they now belong to me. It turns out a picker bought them and then contacted Jim Roller wanting to turn them. He isn't buying anymore, but he did offer them to me and I ended up working out a fair price with them. I will have to wait until they get here to see if they are both worth restoring. If they are, I will need all of the parts....but if I can only do one, then I will have some spare spools. They won't arrive for a week or so, but I will let you know when they do. One is a Deluxe upper, and the other is a Jewel Box. The deluxe is missing the front door....you don't have a foundary close that can do a casting of yours do you? lol

Joe
gamblingman

Postby gamblingman » Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Nigel...just made a decent score in regards to the Deluxe background. All that I have seen have a mirror for the background, but I am now told the original was a mirror with a blue arc at the top to resemble the sky, and then another glass panel with etched skyscrapers then sits in front of the mirror. I was actually able to locate an original and now have it in hand........I've never seen it outside of one of Jim Rollers pics. I will try and post some pics for you if you want to try and have one re-created for your Deluxe.

Joe
gamblingman

Postby clubconsoles » Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Hey Joe
That's great I would love a hi res picture of that if you could send me one please?
Thanks
Nigel
clubconsoles

Postby gamblingman » Wed May 21, 2014 5:15 am

Nigel, this is a pic I took from my phone. I will get you a higher res picture this weekend, but at least it will give you and idea of what it looks like. It is pretty thick glass, and goes in front of the normal mirrored background. The mirror should have the top in blue tint to simulate the sky. I'm probably going to have to have that special made.....I'm guessing the odds of finding one of those intact are next to none. I'm getting closer to having all of the pieces for the deluxe......going to have to re-create the prize door, top cap and base trim.

Joe
Attachments
Glass1.jpg
gamblingman

Postby clubconsoles » Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Joe
That looks great, I have seen a Jim Roller resto with exact same art work on mirror!
Are you sure this is original as it looks remarkably sharp and modern looking for an 80 year old digger??

regards

Nigel
clubconsoles

Postby gamblingman » Wed May 21, 2014 11:54 am

I believe it is original. There are some scratches and edge chips, and there is also a little bit of a paint line at the top from where it was obviously in a thin frame at one point. I will agree it is in pretty remarkable shape, but unless it was an early repro, I would not call it new. I would think if they were being reproduced, I would have seen one somewhere other than the one Jim did. There is some dimension to the glass, meaning this is not just etched across the surface. There are peaks and valleys to the buildings, to give it a 3-dimensional look.

Joe
gamblingman

Postby gamblingman » Thu May 22, 2014 6:20 am

Well Nigel....I may owe you a drink when I get over there this summer! You got me curious, so I checked with the original owner. It is indeed an older re-creation from an original pattern. It is used, and was in another digger, but you are correct, it is not quite original. My hat is off to you sir.............
gamblingman

Postby clubconsoles » Thu May 22, 2014 10:40 am

OK Joe
I'm not an expert like Jim Roller, just a hunch really lol!
yes, I would enjoy that drink in the summer, Thank you.
do you have my email?
if not I will ping it over via PM.
Cheers Nigel
clubconsoles

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures