Mills Black Cherry project.

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Re: Mills Black Cherry project.

Postby gamblingman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 am

Flip....I've used the Rustoleum several times, and it works great when all of the conditions are perfect. Both temperature and humidity will drastically affect how that paint flows. I remember one summer in particular when the humidity levels were so high, it took me several tries to get one casting right...each time I had to remove the paint, I swore I would never touch the stuff again. Once I figured it out, and figured out to put on an even and smooth coat and resist the temptation to go back and try to touch up anything while it was wet......I was money and several hours of labor ahead.
gamblingman

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:36 am

It is important to make sure that the paint is not old. I have ordered paint online and it had a date of 2 years ago and it was thick and didn't go on well. I am looking to experiment with it and add some thinners to it and see how it changes.Hopefully it wont loose its hammer appearance. Good to know about humidity, Philly gets that way often in the summer.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby gamblingman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:28 am

The only other thing I would add is to keep the paint well mixed at all times. There is a chemical mixed in which causes the hammertone, and it tends to separate fast. I stir every few minutes.
gamblingman

Postby damikeguy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am

On a different subject. You seem to have restored a machine or two :D What color(gloss or flat) blue would you recommend for a Mills blue castle front? I am working on one now that had pretty much no paint on it. There was a little red left on the castle.
Thanks
Mike
damikeguy

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am

flipper77 wrote:Your hammertone silver came out nice. Could I ask what brand of hammer paint did you use? My latest use of Rustoleum Hammer has been less than good.

Thanks,
Flip
I use the rattle cans rather than the brush on for the hammertone paint.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:23 am

damikeguy wrote:On a different subject. You seem to have restored a machine or two :D What color(gloss or flat) blue would you recommend for a Mills blue castle front? I am working on one now that had pretty much no paint on it. There was a little red left on the castle.
Thanks

I use mostly rustoleum paints. I would use the gloss or semi gloss. A couple times I have used One Shot paints because I could not find the right color in rustoleum.
oldslotman

Postby leospanner » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:11 am

I just finished using the red "Hammerite" in a spray can and it turned out really nice. Found it on the internet.
leospanner

Postby terick2104 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I use Rustoleum Navy, to get an even looking job and avoid coverage problems, I always primer the castings where I am going to spray the navy blue. Mask the castings, spray the primer then immediately remove the masking and clean any over spray with mineral spirits. After the primer is dry [I wait at least 8 hours], remask the castings again, spray the Navy Blue and do the same thing with cleanup immediately after spraying. I use 'One Shot' Fire Red and Peacock Blue for the other colors and I don't primer the part of the castings that receive the blue and red. I am going to try a navy satin on my next castle. Maybe this will help you.
terick2104

Previous

Return to Pictures