Help Identifying These?

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Help Identifying These?

Postby AntiqueRick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 am

Anyone have any ideas what these machines are?

Thanks!
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
AntiqueRick

Re: Help Identifying These?

Postby toydoc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 am

Assuming it has wooden sides, I would guess it is a Mills operator's bell. The casting looks similar to those used on the cast iron fronts from the turn of the century.

Can't see denomination for coin nor other details from your picture. Do not think there were bronze versions done but rather nickel plated. Hope this helps some.

Bill
toydoc

Postby altort » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 am

Cant be sure from the pictures, but watling made a similar slot, I belive that the upprer casting on the watling had an eagle verses an owl on the mills umong other differences also cast iron verses aluminum
altort

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 pm

from what is shown in the pics you supply,
these are watling.
some top castings have an eagle on top, and i have seen a couple with a large "W" in a very heavy block type font or script letter.
another easy "tell", or give away, is look at the mills logo in the lower right of the front casting... notice the owl has been removed from the center of the gear.
these machines should have round payout fingers going through the reel discs, as opposed to the later flat / stamped pay out fingers.
reel strips should be tin as opposed to paper, and should be marked watling under each bar symbol.
i have only seen the watling versions of this style in cast iron. i have not seen this style in aluminum.
i also believe these to be the last of the CAST IRON watlings.
i believe the first watling aluminum machines were the 4 column vendor ( similar to the mills f.o.k. ), and, the "LINCOLN DeLUXE", which is similar to the previous machine, (taller fok height case), , but with out the front vendor.
and, i believe the first of the aluminum watling's to become the traditional "flat top" style they became known for were the BABY LINCOLN", and the "BLUE SEAL" 4 COLUMN VENDOR FRONT with the big roll of mints cast diagonally across the front casting.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby TheFatman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Do a magnet test to be sure.
dave F
TheFatman

Postby AntiqueRick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks for the replies! Here's more info:

One is 5 cents and one is 25 cents.

These are cast iron (per magnet test). I'm not sure if the copper plating was added by the manufacturer or by an owner at a later date. The gum vending is aluminum.

There is an eagle on the top of the casting - and I've added a pic of a part inside the machine the is stamped "W M CO" - I'd say Watling is the right call.

Serial number on these are stamped in the wood at the top and not on the machine. Both are in the 25,xxx range.

The reels have no names on them whatsoever....

Please let me know if you'd like to see more pics or info. Any idea on the model/date for these?

Thanks!
Attachments
1-IMG_6614.JPG
1-IMG_6611.JPG
1-IMG_6609.JPG
1-IMG_6608.JPG
1-IMG_6606.JPG
1-IMG_6605.JPG
1-IMG_6604.JPG
AntiqueRick

Postby Whosignedmeup » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 am

Is there a "W" on the bottom of the base?
Whosignedmeup

Postby AntiqueRick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:23 am

Not sure. They are at a friends house. I'll send an update as soon as I can take a look.

Thanks!
AntiqueRick

Return to Pictures