English penny machine

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

English penny machine

Postby joefaro » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm

This is a machine I bought a couple of years ago. It plays on a large English penny and works great. Any one know who made it and what time period?
Attachments
slot machines 003.JPG
joefaro

Re: English penny machine

Postby Anglobritish » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Joe,
Your English machine is actually a German slot machine mechanism in a British cabinet, The Duchess was made in 1961 by a company called Melroy Products. Melroy used the mechanism from A Gunter Wulff "Beromat" model that was the only machine that Gunter Wulff made with fruit symbals, every other machine he made had Totalisator symbals. He not only used the mech, but also the original coin handle essembly, the payout tray was from another Gunter Wulff model called Novomat.

My late father was the first man to import the German machines in 1959, see picture of my late mother at the London Show in 1959. also a copy of the reel combinations used on all of Gunter Wulff machines during the 1950's.

Marty Bromley head of Sega brokered a deal for Bally to buy the Gunter Wulff company in 1972, he got $1,000.000 brokers fee. Marty also assembled the early Sega Bell models in the Gunter Wulff factory in Berlin in 1960.

See also a picture of the mechanism that my late father converted to the old English penny.

Good Luck.

Freddydid
Attachments
2. Novomat.jpg
3. Glockerest.JPG
2. Gunter wukff Beromat David Bailey Conversion.jpg
1. Gunter Wulff Reel Strips-2.jpg
MyMotheronourstandattheATEATE1959.jpg
Anglobritish

Postby joefaro » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks for the history, I like the machine because it plays so well.
joefaro

Postby oldslotman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Anglobritish wrote:Hi Joe,
Your English machine is actually a German slot machine mechanism in a British cabinet, The Duchess was made in 1961 by a company called Melroy Products. Melroy used the mechanism from A Gunter Wulff "Beromat" model that was the only machine that Gunter Wulff made with fruit symbals, every other machine he made had Totalisator symbals. He not only used the mech, but also the original coin handle essembly, the payout tray was from another Gunter Wulff model called Novomat.

My late father was the first man to import the German machines in 1959, see picture of my late mother at the London Show in 1959. also a copy of the reel combinations used on all of Gunter Wulff machines during the 1950's.

Marty Bromley head of Sega brokered a deal for Bally to buy the Gunter Wulff company in 1972, he got $1,000.000 brokers fee. Marty also assembled the early Sega Bell models in the Gunter Wulff factory in Berlin in 1960.

See also a picture of the mechanism that my late father converted to the old English penny.

Good Luck.

Freddydid

Freddy, I just love all the history that you have added on this forum. Great to hear from you. I've learned something new almost everyday. =D>
oldslotman

Postby kristinean » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:34 am

I have a Duchess English Penny machine, the arm and coin acceptance had been removed I have them put back together but not sure how all the springs go. Does any one have some pictures or a diagram I could look at to put the springs back on. Thank You very much
Could you send e-mail to kristineltaylor@aol.com

Peter Taylor
kristineltaylor@aol.com
kristinean

Postby fotoman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi there
I also have one of these machines. I bought it several years ago, and now my wife is tired of looking at it.
It seems to play well, and lights up.
It is a Dutchess, and I am trying to come up with a value, any help?
Thanks
Daren
fotoman

Postby fotoman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

oldslotman wrote:
Anglobritish wrote:Hi Joe,

Good Luck.

Hi there
I also have one of these machines. I bought it several years ago, and now my wife is tired of looking at it.
Thanks
Daren

Freddydid

Freddy, I just love all the history that you have added on this forum. Great to hear from you. I've learned something new almost everyday. =D>
fotoman

Postby fotoman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi there
Thanks
Daren
fotoman

Postby fotoman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm

This is what mine looks like
Daren
fotoman

Return to Pictures