Walting Roll-A-Top

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Walting Roll-A-Top

Postby bafremin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:32 pm

I recently acquired a Walting Roll-A-Top that is in prestty bad shape, it is missing the back. I was trying to locate one, so if there is anyone that could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to totally restore it, but finding parts seems to quite challenging.
Attachments
IMG_4036.jpg
Right View
IMG_4038.jpg
Left View
IMG_4037.jpg
Front View
IMG_4035.jpg
Front View 2
bafremin

Re: Walting Roll-A-Top

Postby Richard13 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Flea Bay has some original and reproduction backs. Just google Watling back door too will pop up several options.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:57 am

There are not a large amount of this Watling "Rol-A-Top" model around. That lower front, is a Buckley revamp.
The panels on either side of the jackpot, make it appear to have mint vender covers, but they are not. However,
it does have the gold award window, instead of the solid Eagle casting. If you have the gold award unit inside,
that is a plus. Although this is not a popular model, it is scarce, and well worth the effort to restore. Nice find.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Nice find.
Looks like the paint has been cleaned off the castings; no sign of it at all in photos (or is it spray bombed silver?).
What are the serial numbers?
Should have 2 numbers;
Wailing serial in upper casting and in wood by cash box.
Buckley serial in back edge of wood side.

Here is a photo of one that I think was restored by Nation's Attic (if I remember correctly).

Image.jpg
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:04 pm

nvmos2 wrote:Nice find.
Looks like the paint has been cleaned off the castings; no sign of it at all in photos (or is it spray bombed silver?).
What are the serial numbers?
Should have 2 numbers;
Wailing serial in upper casting and in wood by cash box.
Buckley serial in back edge of wood side.

Here is a photo of one that I think was restored by Nation's Attic (if I remember correctly).

Image.jpg

Jim:
The pic you posted here, is the one I send in the last time we were discussing this model with someone else. It has an
earlier repaint from the revamp period, and has not been restored by Nations Attic that I know of, unless it happened
recently. I don't know of more than a hand-full of these revamps now, and have no idea how many Buckley did. I kind of
like the configuration myself. Wonder how many 'watlingboy' has seen in his travels?
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby watlingboy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:48 pm

My take on these is probably a little different from most, I liked the RAT's much better before Buckley revamped them. I have seen a fair number of these over the years, they are definitely not rare and if someone wants one, you can find one. When the Rol-A-Top mint vender no longer had any use, most laws had been changed so the vending of mints and the telling of fortunes didn't work with the laws anymore, Buckley took them, removed the vender covers, vender rod and put their own covers on. They also removed the metal fortune telling tin strips and replaced them with their paper strips. Prices for the Buckley revamps bring less than the original vender front Rol-A-Top.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Bill;

Thanks for reminding me where I got this picture;
I keep photos of machines I like and find interesting; it's hard enough for me to remember what I'm looking at,
let alone where I got the photo!

I like this machine;
I think many collectors (but non-experts) like me would not even realize this is a revamp
and think it's just a strange Watling model.

Jim
nvmos2

Return to Pictures