Rock-Ola/Mills Jackpot Revamp

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Rock-Ola/Mills Jackpot Revamp

Postby martie911 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 am

This machine has the traditional Mills 2 nail heads on the baseboard, but they're to the rear instead of the front. Did Mills do that on some of their machines, or could it have been turned around on it's base during the revamp by Rock-Ola?
Attachments
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
martie911

Re: Rock-Ola/Mills Jackpot Revamp

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:46 pm

From what i see in the picture, it looks as if the front portion of the base has been replaced, as, the grain does match that of the back.
It could be just the way the photo was taken, or glare.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby oldslotman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Mills had nail heads both front and back. As stated above, looks like front half has been replaced.
oldslotman

Postby martie911 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm

As I look closer, it would appear that you both are right. looking underneath, it looks as if the base consists of three separate boards that have some checking at the edges, but the board closest to the front of the machine does in fact look different, with a closer and less contrasting grain pattern, and it does not have the checking cracks that the other two pieces have. I guess that explains a few things. I'm surprised I didn't see that before now. Thank you both for your observations and opinions. Very helpful!
martie911

Postby martie911 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Okay, I have just one more question. This Rock-Ola has a circle S brand either burned or routed on the handle side of it. I noticed another machine on line that had the letter "P" on it's side also. Do you know what these marks signify?
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPG
martie911

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:44 pm

It is an operator's brand... just like a farmer's cattle brand.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby martie911 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Thank you very much!
martie911

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:37 pm

The above info is all correct. The front half of the base has been replaced, as seen by the
newer wood piece, with different grain. Also, the base cannot have been turned around
180, because of the groove for the back door, the blocking is off to one side, and mainly
the round countersunk hole that the payout cup sits in.
It is a very nice looking restoration job. Just too bad that the replacement wood, could
have had a closer match to the wood grain, and replaced the complete rods. Other than
that, it looks super.
Rockola had 3 or 4 different style revamp jackpot fronts, but this one is by far the best
designed one.
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Pictures