Watling 5 cent blue seal authenticity

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Re: Watling 5 cent blue seal authenticity

Postby mechanic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Just picked up an original Watling Jumbo 4 column like the one pictured and the coin acceptor is the sane as the one pictured. I also have a very early blue seal with that same coin acceptor also original.
mechanic

Postby flipper77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:13 am

Good find on the Jumbo. I just found mine last year - a true barn find that I almost turned my back on as too rough. But had the future pay intact with shelf and display dial. And the mint vender intact and all original. Now one of my favorite machines.

Flip.
Attachments
Watling FOK 2.JPG
flipper77

Postby GMButler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Well, I went and had a look at this Watling and guess what? YourBestBet appears to have been completely correct! The gooseneck was CLEARLY not a Watling as the finish was different AND it had been clearly modified to fit. The three holes were meant to secure some sort of hinge/latch as the lock was shiny new and the keys still smelled of the grinder (shiny as well ;-)

Thank you for the advice, all. This unit is meant for some unsuspecting sucker at $1295 (bottom dollar $1195).
GMButler

Postby mechanic » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:56 pm

flipper77 wrote:Good find on the Jumbo. I just found mine last year - a true barn find that I almost turned my back on as too rough. But had the future pay intact with shelf and display dial. And the mint vender intact and all original. Now one of my favorite machines.

Flip.

Your jumbo turned out nice, mine has a ways to go all the glass needs replacing and the lock on the vendor cover is missing. The deferred pay flag is broken and missing the lower numbers.
mechanic

Postby pj waelti » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:20 am

Is that the machine in Northern Wisconsin? That has been for sale for a long time..PJ
pj waelti

Postby JPCass » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:21 pm

GMButler wrote:Well, I went and had a look at this Watling and guess what? YourBestBet appears to have been completely correct! The gooseneck was CLEARLY not a Watling as the finish was different AND it had been clearly modified to fit. The three holes were meant to secure some sort of hinge/latch as the lock was shiny new and the keys still smelled of the grinder (shiny as well ;-)

Thank you for the advice, all. This unit is meant for some unsuspecting sucker at $1295 (bottom dollar $1195).

You can always hope that if you go back 3 or 6 or 12 months later if the machine is still sitting there, they will take less to move it. A smart dealer will cut their losses at some point, and put their money into something else that they may stand a better chance of making a profit on. Unfortunately, a lot of dealers don't want to admit a buying mistake, and instead sit on stuff until it ends up in their going out of business sale...or their estate sale.... And of course sometimes they do get lucky, and somebody comes along and overpays.

Good Luck,

JP
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Previous

Return to Pictures