Trip L Jax

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Trip L Jax

Postby TJ » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:26 am

You will notice in the pic it says play penny but if you want to win you must play a nickel. Don't know who made it. Has not been restored as far as I know. Was full of pennies when I found it.
Attachments
100_1937.JPG
100_1936.JPG
100_1935.JPG
TJ

Re: Trip L Jax

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:37 pm

TJ:
The "Trip-L-Jax" was made by more than one mfr. The one shown here, was by American Sales Co. in Chicago.
To my knowledge, none were produced in Nickel play. If a nickel fits into your shooter, and works, it was either
filed out, or replaced with a shooter from a Rock-Ola model, whom did have a nickel play version of their "Five
Jacks". The strange thing about this, is the nickel will not usually fit into the jackpot cup, unless the pins were
moved, as a penny barely fits in, at a very precise angle. It does appear from you pix, that the pin, directly above
each jackpot, was moved to the left, but I am not positive. It could be something an operator may have changed.
But why didn't he remove the playfield instructions, that says Penny, when this was done. It's a mystery to me!
I have two different models of this machine, and a nickel will not fit in either shooter. This has the same style
shooter casting, that is on the Pace "3 Jacks", which are also all penny play, and on the Rock-Ola, in both 1c & 5c.
Are you ready? Here comes that WORD again. It would be nice, if you could call this a "RARE" nickel version, but
with that Penny paper, it won't work. Besides, when you found it full of pennies, was a clue. And please don't
remove the paper from your totally original machine. [-X
Let me know what you detect, with a closer look at those pins.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:47 am

The outside pins appear to have been moved it looks like two filled holes but the pins including the middle one are very close to center point above the slots. When I first got it I put a number of pennies through it and when they went into the slot you could turn the knob and nothing. So I opened it up to observe what was happening and the pennies would just fall through. That was when I discovered that if a nickel went through the slot you could turn the knob and the jackpot would open. So I put it back together and began playing nickels and it doesn't happen very often but a nickel eventually went into the slot and the jackpot opened. I rarely play with it as each time a coin goes through it could further damage the paper. Nothing appears to have been filed on or altered, but I understand stranger things have happened. With pennies you could regularly hit the slot, but with nickels it rarely happens.
TJ

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm

My camera doesn't do close-ups very well. But here are a couple more pictures.
Attachments
100_2210.JPG
100_2208.JPG
100_2206.JPG
TJ

Return to Pictures