Jennings/Pace and a Mills Jewel

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Jennings/Pace and a Mills Jewel

Postby Rick B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:06 am

Grew up with an old 05 cent machine when I was a kid but have not been able to find it on the net. My father sold it to Larry Flint of Hustler magazine in the 70's and I missed it ever since. I got the bug a few weeks ago and a friend had a few for sale. Never knew he had them so I went over and all were late 40's and newer so I bought the nickle Mills for $1,200. Took it home and cleaned it up inside properly and it runs super now. Went to a Flea Market in town and had to have this Dime Jennings Pace Revamp which has had some resto work done. It is the closest to what my Dad had when I was a kid. Paid $900.00 for it and happy with it. While looking it over and filling the Jackpot I found a Copper plate over a slot for rigging the machine. We were only able to hit 2 cherries for wins the first two days. When I pulled the block it started hitting normal and even hit a jackpot. Now I have to figure out what they did to the reel pictures as it hits on a lemon and Cherry. Lemon should be a Cherry. Wondering if they 180'd the paper? Bought the bench at a 2nd hand store and plan on getting a Quarter machine that needs work and finishing up my play room now. Rick B

Rick B

Re: Jennings/Pace and a Mills Jewel

Postby RameGoom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:39 am

I have one of those Pace conversions, 5c version. Nice looking machine!

That bug looks like it can be removed with a propane torch. But, those discs are hardened steel, and too much heat might ruin the temper strength. Still, the bug has gotta go.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby RameGoom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:48 am

I had the same problem with my Jennings machine, and ended up having new reel strips made. that solved the problem of incorrect payout.
jennings_reel_strip_symbol-rev-b.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby Rick B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks guys and Ramegoom I checked the reel and that is exactly the one. I am figure I can take a picture and size it then print on paper and insert it over carefully or just leave it. I wonder who made the fake strip for these back in the day?? I will try and keep my eyes opened for a correct reel strip someone pulled off their machine to replace. May get lucky as I see originals from time to time. Rick
Rick B

Postby Rick B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:43 pm

When I think about it maybe the strip just needs to be moved into the correct position??? I am seeing this as a normal strip for the Bantam jackpot. I just have to figure the sequence. Any thoughts about this???? Rick
Rick B

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Rick B wrote:When I think about it maybe the strip just needs to be moved into the correct position??? I am seeing this as a normal strip for the Bantam jackpot. I just have to figure the sequence. Any thoughts about this???? Rick

You don't want to slide the strip to another position, as that will throw off all the other pay stops.
And NO, they wouldn't have 180'd the strip. That would be totally wrong, and screw everything up.
When operators, or anyone else, bugged payout stops, they generally placed a filler symbol over
the pay symbol. (ie a lemon over a cherry). So, just do the necessary patch to that stop, and be
done with it.
Also, maybe I am not following you correctly. And this should be after you removed the bug. Are
you saying that the lemon that pays as a cherry, is printed on the strip, or is it a paste-over, which
is what I was referring to above? If all the other symbols on that strip pay correctly, then all you
have to deal with, is that one stop. It is possible that someone replaced an entire strip, that had
been printed with a bug stop, but that is most unlikely, as stupid as it may be. The patch is easy.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Rick B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Nothing is pasted over the Cherry that I see. The 1st one is a Lemon as RameGoom showed instead of a Cherry. My order is exactly as the picture he shows. I will leave it for now unless I can get a good copy of the cherry as my strips are aged well making it harder. I may try to do the math on it or see if I can look into another machine one day like mine and see the line up to the slots. Thanks,Rick
Rick B

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 am

Rick B wrote:Nothing is pasted over the Cherry that I see. The 1st one is a Lemon as RameGoom showed instead of a Cherry. My order is exactly as the picture he shows. I will leave it for now unless I can get a good copy of the cherry as my strips are aged well making it harder. I may try to do the math on it or see if I can look into another machine one day like mine and see the line up to the slots. Thanks,Rick

Rick:
If you can send me a pix of one of your Cherry symbols, that closely matches the coloring of the area
that the Lemon is, I will look in my used strip stock, to see if I have a symbol that matches as close as
possible to what you need. If it is a torn or partial strip, or a single I don't need, I will cut the symbol
out, and send it to you at no charge. I need to see a pix, because there are several different styles of
Cherries, and I would like to send one that is exact.
Send the pix to (slotdynasty@sbcglobal.net), and if I have something, I will then need your address.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Rick B » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:25 am

It would be greatly appreciated if you could do that. I snapped a quick picture before I left for work this morning but can get you one through email if needed. Here is the Cherry in case you can match it. Thanks again. Rick B

Edited as I notice on my work computer and tablet only half of the picture shows. I sized it to fit incase anyone else has this issue.

Rick B

Postby RameGoom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:47 am

If you have the same issue I had, you will need to insert a lemon in place of that cherry.
RameGoom

Next

Return to Pictures