Proud owner of a Rol O Tor :)

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Re: Proud owner of a Rol O Tor :)

Postby rtmccurdy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 am

Nice find!
Last edited by rtmccurdy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtmccurdy

Postby Rick B » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:32 am

I found the correct denomination badge. Will put these and have extras when they wear out. Rick B

Actually this one may be better.

Rick B

Postby clubconsoles » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:17 am

A Beautiful Machine there Rick B, well done.
Woah, ther are lots of Rol a top threads on this forum right now, these watlings seem to be top of lots of collectors wish lists!
I don't think Stephane was being sarcastic,just that English is not his mother tongue, being in France.
He is right about the denomination badge, it would have been a blue and white one, but they don't reproduce them, so the brass is the next best thing.
A real stunning looking machine, I must say!
clubconsoles

Postby gsx11r » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Again
Sorry again about my poor English!! :oops:
I was not sarcastic !Your Denomination badge was made for the late rol a toP ( around 5 years after the ToR !)
This is what you need to have, even I like your “kisses 25ç”
Sorry , I have just a 5ç badge in photo .
19.jpg

About the silver edging (small silver line between the black paint and wood), it’s this :
$(KGrHqQOKo8E0U64M8QhBNZINCl0Nw~~_3.jpg

And I talk only about the two major trouble on this ToR (promise , I will not say anything about other small default),and I confirm ,it s a very nice original restored rol a ToR and not just a ToR casting add on a ToP Slot machine ! =D>

Sorry again ,I m the stupid French who was sleeping in English class ,and I regret this ! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stephane
gsx11r

Postby Rick B » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:18 am

Anyone have a picture of a .25 early Rol O Tor disc? I am not able to find one. Is it known for a fact that the .25 was differnt on all of them? Did they immediately change to one like mine when they changed teh casting of the TOR to TOP? They were not thinking of collectors when they made these. Thanks,, Rick B
Rick B

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:58 am

First of all I think you owe Stephane an apology, although you didn't ask for a critique of you new machine, he was only pointing out that you had the wrong denomination badge on it and putting the correct one on will help your machine. Here's the deal on the badges, yours should have the one that Stephane posted in the picture, he is correct. That is the badge that was used on the early Rol-A-Tor, like yours. There was not a different one for the quarter. Toward the end of the Rol-A-Tor production run, Watling was switching to the blue and white badge. So you could have a late production Rol-A-Tor with a blue and white badge. The brass badge wasn't used until 1938 and the introduction of the removable horn on the top casting. You can easily tell what badge your mech should have by the hole pattern for the screws on the badge. The early white Rol-A-Tor badge has a vertical screw pattern, like yours, the blue and white has a horizontal screw pattern and the brass only has a diagonal screw pattern. I have never seen an exception to this.

The silver on the side of the case. I have never seen the pin routing painted red on a Rol-A-Tor, that I remember, but I have never paid much attention to that. I do know that early cast in horn Rol-A-Tops have that groove painted red, whether it was done on the Rol-A-Tor is unknown until someone can produce a picture of an unrestored one painted red.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Rick B » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Still no pictures? Is it like this below? Rick B

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bKPmaaON2rk/maxresdefault.jpg

Why does this Rol O Tor have screws at a different angle?

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/212/9517/2004004_1_l.jpg

and this one set of screws horizontal?

http://www.pinball-gallery.com/images/g ... 3591-1.jpg

Why does this Rol O Top have the early Blue badge

http://nationsattic.com/index_htm_files/10322.jpg

I can keep going on but just because you tell me means nothing to be honest. I hear allot but see no proof. WatlingsBoy. you may take it as I am being mean but that is not the case. I have been collecting WWII rifles and am in books for this. I am the go to go for verification's and in a 900 page book for my work. I learned along time ago to just take what someone says isn't good enough without proof. I am sorry but I am not going to take someones word just because. Now if you feelings get hurt then so be it. But I have yet to see some verification with proof so I understand what is going on. It really isn't me being mean, just me not taking type on a forum with no proof as gospel. Now if you think I am supposed to just agree because you are telling me with no proof then you owe me an apology. When I help as Rick B the Stock Doc on the M1 Garand boards and more I put up comparison photos of fakes and real along with different time frames.

I hope this makes sense and it isn't that I disagree with your finding. It is that I would like to see examples. Notice below I am showing proof of my expertise in an area of collecting? Rick B

Rick B

Postby gsx11r » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:01 pm

The white (first) and green ( second) badge was made with paint .Some of them are fully rusty now and the paint is off .
And unfortunately, the only repro available are the brass like your ! Ask to Mrslot1 !!
This why who can see the brass badge on many Rol a top or toR !
With the badge and position screw , you can see if it s a correct Mechanism with the correct Casting !
This one have not the good Mechanism ; it s for a Slot after 1938 !
2004004_1_l.jpg

For this second photo , it s an other problem !it s a French Rol a top Bird of paradise made in 1936/37 ,but with a “pseudo” ToR casting ;you have choose the bad example !
Look Here :
viewtopic.php?t=4596
3591-1.jpg

For find a good info , never look a restored slot machine ,but original untouched !

Stephane
gsx11r

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Here is a $.25 Rol-A-Tor. The machine was found a few years ago in Indiana hidden in a wall. The family was selling the house and the estate seller notice a loose wall board. When the board was removed there were two machines. The family had lived in the house for over 50 years and did not know they were there.

The house was in Indiana and the estate seller wanted nothing to do with the machines. They contacted a picker who bought them. He then contacted me and I bought this machine. The other was a Mills Bursting Cherry.

Someone had spray painted the entire machine so the castings needed to be stripped and re-painted. I didn't have time to do it so I had the machine shipped to Jeff Frahm do does high quality Watling restorations. Getting those coins painted and using a the tinted lacquer is difficult and Jeff is one of the few guys in the country who know how to do it correctly.

The mechanism just needed to be cleaned.

The only reason I am posting this is because someone wanted to see a $.25 Rol-A-Tor with the white badge.

This is actually a pretty uncommon Rol-A-Tor. The bottom casting says Gold Seal. It is not a modified Blue Seal machine

I don't know why everyone is getting so bent out of shape over this. I sure wouldn't make a decision to buy or not buy a Rol-A-Tor based on the badge. Of course, most people would prefer a pristine untouched original machine. But as we know, those are hard to come by.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_5691_2.JPG
Dave
Site Admin

Postby watlingboy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:09 pm

You can't take examples of machines that are cobbled up and poorly restored to prove a point. I'm sure you don't hold up a rife that has been modified or screwed with to prove a point of authenticity. Unrestored original machines are your proof not the stuff you have posted. However, they do prove my point. The first machine has the wrong mech in it as Stephane mentioned, Watling never put fortune telling reel strips on a coin front but impossible to prove, right? That being said, early mech with blue and white badge, horizontal screw pattern, correct. Second machine, What a mess that is, wrong mech again, that mech has gold award on the reels with a solid coin front front casting. Again, brass badge with the hole pattern correct for the brass badge . 3rd machine, French Rol-A-Tor Bird. As I mentioned it was correct to have a late Rol-A-Tor with the blue and white badge. Again the horizontal screw pattern is correct for the badge. The last picture was too small to enlarge but if it is a Rol-A-Tor with a brass badge it is wrong and I'm sure if you contacted Don Creekmore, who is Nations Attic, he would tell you the same thing. I have attached 3 photos of unrestored, untouched original machines to show you the difference but I don't think it will mean much to you. You seem to already know plenty and have it all figured out. This post ends the pissing contest, I won't be responding to you again. Good luck with future collecting. Just tried to upload the 3 photos and a notice appeared that said the "Board attachment quota had been reached." If Dave can fix that, I will post the pictures.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures