Watling Rol a top 50cent

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Re: Watling Rol a top 50cent

Postby leospanner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Hmmm, wondering if that might have something to do with one reel strip being different? A bug on that reel might have caused someone to put an incorrect reel strip on?
leospanner

Postby buffalotraders79 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the information. I have not had time to inspect for the bug location yet. I can see part of the original roll paper left on the #3 reel. Someone has "created" the rest of the reel label on it now. Question. It looks like someone has put a screen door spring on the main spring mechanism. How important is the right spring on this main mechanism? I noticed that the reels do not spin near as fast or as long as those I have seen on youtube. Could that be the cause. I know dry bushings would also slow it down.The clock seems a little noisy as well. How hard is it to find an original back and where would I start looking?
Thanks again for all the info.
buffalotraders79

Postby mechanic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Try a few drops of 3 in one oil on the clock pivots both sides top and bottom and same for the bull gear ratchet pawls. That should smooth it out a bit.
mechanic

Postby gsx11r » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 am

watlingboy wrote:Your Rol-A-Top is a single cherry pay probably built right after the war based on the serial.

There are numerous ads that have survived advertising 50 cent Rol-A-Tops for sale, below are a few.

As for the converted English penny Rol-A-Top, I myself have never seen one in all my years of collecting. Every 50 cent RAT I have seen has been original. If anyone has a photo or owns an English penny RAT, if you could please post a photo, I would appreciate it. I have seen numerous English Mills machines, goosenecks, war eagles, roman heads, Jennings machines etc. but not a Rol-A-Top. In fact I am trying to recall any English penny Watling machines and can't off hand think of one. As far as the part found in the cabinet, I don't recognize it.

Watlingboy

Hello Watlingboy
Maybe this can help you ! I have this part in my hand !
Look what is written ! :
"ENG PENN. " (I think that is for "English penny" :wink: )
I m sure that this frame is for a large coin as 50ç or Penny !I have tried with 25ç escalator parts ; not possible ! But , you are right , Impossible to find a complet "penny" rol a top also !
Watlingboy , a question for you :
What is the difference between "mystery 3-5 pay out STANDARD and CLUB" ??? Tokens for Club and coins for Standard ?? :?:

Stephane
penny frame.jpg

penny frame 2.jpg
gsx11r

Postby buffalotraders79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 pm

this machine has a round rod type lever arm. The brass knob is obviously not original but I have seen many Rol a Tops that have the flat offset handle. I have also seen some 50c Rol a Tops with the handle like mine. Any idea when this change was made or if it is only for the 50c machines?

My internals are pretty crusty. What is the best way to clean the metal properly?
My springs have surface rust as well. Should I replace them? I see spring kits all over ebay?
Again thanks a million for the help guys!
Attachments
099.jpg
buffalotraders79

Postby watlingboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Stephane,

Thanks for the photo, sure looks like it says English penny. First piece I've ever seen like that. I notice it has the "E" casting mark which was Watlings designation for the 50 cent machines. All the casting part numbers that are unique to the 50 cent machine are followed by the letter E. As far as the standard and Club payout. I'm not sure either but I thought it referred to the payout percentage of the bundle such as 75/25 or 80/20 as all models could be set up to work with coins or tokens. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby watlingboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 pm

The club handle as it is called, rod with ball, was switched to all of the Rol-A-Tops in the late 40's. Prior to that all Rol-A-Tops had the flat short steel handle. The easiest to play machines were the early ones. The late 40's mechs were harder to play, don't know why they changed the mechs but Watling continued to change and modify them throughout the production run. The club handle gave the player more leverage and made the machine easier to play.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:36 pm

they are discussing rol a tops on the penny machines forum in the UK and it is very relevant to what is being discussed here.
Try this link - http://www.pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/vi ... &start=500

also here is a pic of a rol a top on English penny that has surfaced
Attachments
KIF_1558.jpg
clubconsoles

Postby mechanic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 pm

It could be that I see more English Penny machines in my area and Chicagoland as many slots were returned from the UK back in the late 70's and early 80's whereas other parts of the country have more of certain models then other parts. I have seen over 20 EP Rolatops and only 3-4 real 50C machines over 40+ yrs in the business.
mechanic

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 am

clubconsoles wrote:they are discussing rol a tops on the penny machines forum in the UK and it is very relevant to what is being discussed here.
Try this link - http://www.pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/vi ... &start=500

also here is a pic of a rol a top on English penny that has surfaced

What I see here, is a 1d "ROL-A-TOR", not TOP.
Nice restoration, on a machine with all the 'Bells & Whistles'.
But Please! Life Savers? Naughty-Naughty! [-X
SLOT DYNASTY

PreviousNext

Return to Fantastic Finds