Caille Superior PROTOTYPE???

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Re: Caille Superior PROTOTYPE???

Postby MaverickPT » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi!!

thanks for the photos!!
Well, the mech cycles, but somehow i dont see how the handle fires the reels when it reaches the bottom position.
There must be a part that is responsible for slipping when the handle reaches the lowest position.

Even if i find that out, the kicker always kicks the discs from top towards back of the reels, so they will spin Up in the window!

The jackpot works perfect, the machine has a coin tube that once filled starts filling the jackpot window i didnt mange to get how the overfill works but it has a reel that spins probably making the coins go to the cashbox. How the mech will make the reel spin its still a mistery.

For that part you identified, with the jackpot in place it wont fit. Maybe its just a spare.

Im starting the cabinet and castings too.
I often see guys restoring their achines with chrome on castings, looks good. Polishing tends to oxydate after a few months right?

thanks again
MaverickPT

Postby MaverickPT » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:04 pm

And where do i get reel strips for it?
and award cards?

regards
MaverickPT

Postby sam2002 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:37 pm

MaverickPT wrote:And where do i get reel strips for it?
and award cards?

regards

Rick Frink should have those and he does some really nice work
sam2002

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:47 pm

MaverickPT wrote:Hi!!

Im starting the cabinet and castings too.
I often see guys restoring their achines with chrome on castings, looks good. Polishing tends to oxydate after a few months right?

thanks again

By No Means chrome plate the castings on you Caille, if you care anything about originality. They were never done that way, and
will look like total Crap. Many so-called restorers, will chrome plate castings, because they like "Over-Done GLITZ". Maybe it turns
them on, but most collectors do not do it. The machines that were originally plated, were mostly the early cast iron versions, and
they were plated in Watts Nickle, aka cold nickle. The newer type Nickle, aka hot nickle, is the type that will tarnish & oxidize
more quickly than anything, if not kept after, with a good coat of polish wax. The biggest problem now-a-days, is that there are
not many plating shops around that do Watts Nickle. Some of the newer shops, don't even know what it is, (or was).
There were also some trade stimulator manufacterers, that nickle plated some aluminum-case models. Namely Buckley, and Exhibit,
in which the plating may have looked great when first done, but haven't held up very well over the years. Many of the ones that I have
had, lost their luster, and became blotchy. Many aluminum casting slot machine models were not even highly polished when new, they
either had a light sheen, or sometimes nothing.
As far as polished aluminum castings go, they do tend to loose their brightness over time, but what I have noticed, is all the machines
that I have polished during restoration, have toned-down over the years, and really look more like original NOS, rather than restored.
To me, this is a plus. In fact, I have 'excellent originals' next to restored, and they all blend-in nicely.
Good luck with your restoration. You have found an odd-ball, and interesting Caille model, that will be a highlight in your collection.
Hope to see some great photos of the finished project.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

MaverickPT wrote:And where do i get reel strips for it?
and award cards?

regards

Many Caille and other reward cards listed here, on this site:
viewforum.php?f=29
Midcoast Vintage

Postby altort » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm

I agree with Bill, no plating on the castings, polish them and follow up with Simichrome or similar metal polish, the castings will mellow with age and when you refinish the cabinet use a satin not a high gloss.

As far as the "U" shaped part, that part is what the reel stops drop off of, with out it how are the reel stops held back and then drop in to the star wheel?

I have looked at the pictures of your mech with the jack pot and tried to make some sense out of it, it is quite different, it will take time and some fabricating of missing parts to get every thing to work properly, I still don't understand how the reels are spinning backwards, can you post some pictures with the reel bundle in place?
altort

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:20 pm

The U shaped part goes onto the front rod to the right of where the ratchet release arm is attached with the 1/4" rod. The tongue goes to the rear where the clock is with the high part of the tongue facing up. The tongue should ride below the timing arm. The release arm with the saddle and threaded rod should also point to the back toward the clock. The rod is looped at the back end and attaches to a stud that comes off the side of the clock push bar on the back bar (johnson bar). If it has been removed you will see a whole on the right side looking at it from the back. You may need to put some washers between the mounting brackets and the individual parts.
Last edited by mechanic on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechanic

Postby MaverickPT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi to all!

well here are some videos of the mech moving, i removed the jackpot on the last videos, but this way everyone can see the parts articulation.
my biggest problems right now:
- reels spin UP (see throught the window) because the kicker moves from top of award discs to back when i release the handle.
- machine only "fires" or "starts" when i release the handle and NOT when the handle reaches the bottom position.
- the main srpring as you see in the video doesnt belong there but it kind of works like that and im not seeing any other handle spring position.

VIDEOS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeraSew3pE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7a8j3AD7-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7SDNDXT35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtuW2Ncckw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ucXWE2CiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuoMCYhvo30

two of these are simulating the PLAY cycle the other just the handle moving.

thanks for all your help!
MaverickPT

Postby mechanic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Get some close up shots of the kicker from slides up to the kicker head. Also the back of the mech.
mechanic

Postby altort » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:21 pm

I have watched your videos several times, but one thing for sure you cant really diag the operation of a partial mech, there are many parts missing off of your mech, the reel kicker should not pull down with the pull of the mech, it needs to get loaded up with the spring that it's attached to the bottom, the kicker head locks on to the reel discs, the discs are kept from spinning from a bar that is on the back of the mech, when the lever is pulled all the way down and the kicker is fully loaded by the spring, then the operating fork will release the rear bar and the kicker will spring forwards sending the reels spinning, those parts are different from model to model.

I dont know how many parts you are missing from your mech, but from what I have seen on the Caille's there are many changes made through their production run making it difficult yo get parts, you might be better off finding an early mech and adapting the jack pot to it fabricating parts as you need to.
altort

PreviousNext

Return to Fantastic Finds