Best way to clean this part up

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Best way to clean this part up

Postby Richard13 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:15 pm

image.jpeg
Worked on my cabinet today and then turned my attention to mech. After a general wiping down of all
the old grease and oil that was covering everything I was pleasantly surprised to see that non of the
machine screw heads were all buggered up and stripped like you find in so many used machines.

What is best way to clean or polish or refurbish this brass 10 cent plate or badge?
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Re: Best way to clean this part up

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Richard:
The relief area that is painted red on these buttons, are deeper than most, and should not pose a problem, if you are
careful, and the paint looks good on yours. You can use Brasso, or any good chrome polish, with a soft rag over your
finger-tip, and rub lightly, til you see the dark areas brighten up. After you are done, you can clean the dark polish
residue off with a mild soap & water. I have also used a buffer, but if you aren't careful, you can cause more damage
than you want to deal with. Good luck.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby RameGoom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:18 pm

I restored a brass cash register once. Used "Lysol" toilet bowl cleaner to strip the brass down to the shine and it worked incredibly. However, if you use it, you need to work quickly, and wash the brass with soap and water thoroughly. Then apply some MAAS metal polish, and afterwards, use clear coat spray.

That stuff works so well, but is is an acid, so cleanliness is very important.

Before and after:
before-restoration03.jpg

national_register_416-1.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby Richard13 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Tomorrow I will give it a try and see how it comes out.
Awesome job on cash registers too. I have two of those one is a great big machine and there
is a sales label on the bottom of cash drawer it was sold to the general store in Gunnison
Colorado. The other one is a real small narrow one. I just throw silver coins in it when I
find them. Never thought about a restoration....until now lol.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby Richard13 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions I did not want to restore it just clean it up but leave
some "patina" to show some age. Used a dab of barkeepers friend, powdered metal
Polish with damp song cloth then soap and water.

image.jpeg
Richard13

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions