Pace Bantam Escalator Part Question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Pace Bantam Escalator Part Question

Postby standardchief » Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi all,

I just acquired a Pace Bantam. I like the clean, simple look of the "plain front." It looks original, and the J4963 serial number makes it 1928 or so. What is not original is the plastic piece that holds the coins inside the escalator. I've attached a picture below that shows the plastic piece that came with the machine. Another picture shows the plastic piece I fabricated using the side of a plastic container. I could not find any plastic that seems to be as strong as the original and the same thickness as the original. I'm looking for a source for that kind of plastic.

This machine seems to have been on someone's route. There is a decal on the side that looks like "Gem Sales Co." and "Albrecht Saunders." The slot has "712" stamped twice on the coin entry. It also has "712 350" stamped in the wood on the top of the right side of the cabinet (sorry, that picture is blurry). Anyone know anything about them?

When I got the slot, it had a piece of glass taped on top of (i.e, outside) the jackpot. The original glass was inside the cash bag. I re-installed that original glass. The bottom of the glass was simple to attach to the inside bottom of the jackpot. I did not see any way to attach the top of the glass and it wouldn't to stay put. I must be missing something. I've secured the top of that glass with some "artist tape" of the sort that graphic designers use. It works fine that way.

The original award card has a tear in it. I put an acetate cover over the award card. No other changes or repairs needed.

Mostly, I'm interested in the type of plastic used for the escalator, but any help with the jackpot glass will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Attachments
Bantam 1s.jpg
Bantam 2s.jpg
Bantam 3s.jpg
Bantam 4s.jpg
Bantam 5s.jpg
Bantam 6s.jpg
Bantam 7s.jpg
Bantam 8s.jpg
standardchief

Re: Pace Bantam Escalator Part Question

Postby oldslotman » Wed May 25, 2016 8:07 pm

I have heard that the plastic used on clear food storage containers will work. Something like Glad storage container.
oldslotman

Postby mechanic » Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 pm

The plastic was called Mylar and was the same used to cover the award cards but the wheel stuff was thicker.
mechanic

Postby standardchief » Fri May 27, 2016 4:58 am

Hi oldslotman and mechanic,

Thanks very much for your replies. The "food storage container" plastic is working well for now. I'll look for some Mylar of the correct thickness to make a better plastic cover for the escalator coins. This Bantam is quite a nice, unmolested machine.
standardchief

Postby Richard13 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 am

Can you post photos of the reel glass in place as it is now and without glass so we can see any screw holes or places to mount brackets? I love a good challenge as long as it's not mine! Lol
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby standardchief » Fri May 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for offering to help. I think I've got it solved by putting some felt padding at the bottom of the glass and another piece at the top of the glass. Coins fall into this simple jackpot through the right half of the glass. I guess this would not be an issue if the glass were 1/4 inch taller.

It's still not quite original, since I am using this felt and the artist tape to pad the glass, but it works. I'll attach 3 pictures to show what I did. If you have any improvements, please let me know.
Attachments
DSCF8256.JPG
glass attached to jackpot frame with tape
DSCF8258.JPG
felt padding at bottom of the glass
DSCF8260.JPG
felt padding at top left half of the glass
standardchief

Postby Rick B » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:43 am

I am wondering if anything in this pile can help you? maybe you can modify the shaft slot on one of these to work with yours?? Rick B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191895117944?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Rick B

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions