A customer wanted custom

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

A customer wanted custom

Postby youngjedi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 am

A customer of ours (C&A Slot Restorations) wanted a slot machine for his wife. He wanted a themed machine for her favorite movie. I told him that i would never do a custom machine from an original, but i can do one on a repro. After searching, coming up with design, and creating graphics, I came up with this...

She LOVES IT!
Attachments
IMG_0022.JPG
youngjedi

Re: A customer wanted custom

Postby Richard13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:15 am

The Wizard of Odds? Lol nice job!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:12 am

youngjedi:
Very nice transformation. Did you use one of the previously Faked "Golden Nuggets", and replace the Cherry castings?
If you really wanted to make your customers Wife happier than Dorothy & Toto, I would have made up a brand new set
of reel strips, with all the characters on them. Like the Cowardly Lion on the Cherry stops, and so forth. And of coarse
the Wizard would be on the Bar stops. Think about it, and run it by them. You may just have the machine back in your
shop for a second go-around.
A friend, and slot collector, (who has since passed on), had a Graphic Arts Studio & Photo business in San Francisco, that
printed up a set of reel strips, and new award card, with different types of rolls of film on them, and installed them in a
Watling "Roll-A-Top", that was in his front showroom. If the customer got the winning combination, as indicated on the
card, they would get the rolls of film as the reward. The payout slides were not in operation. Hence, making it legal to
operate at his business, which by-the-way was just a few blocks from the main police station. Even some of the beat cops
would stop in to play it occasionally. :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby youngjedi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments all. It was a unique thing to do, but i prefer to restore originals back to there glory. Especially when they look like crap.

As for the strips, the customer did not want to change much. We did however agree to a little touch on the jackpot. Sorry it's not a great image, but the bars have a 75th anniversary "Wizard of Oz" graphic to them. The emerald green turned out nice on the repro golden nugget. The slippers are jeweled broaches, I did the graphic so the yellow brick road led down to an ornament that is mounted on the front pay schedule plate.

I've had other requests for custom themed machines, But since the passing of my friend Tom (Tom Krahl). Reproduction prices are too high.

Lastly, Repro's can be a bitch to tune. Just my opinion.

Charlie
youngjedi

Postby MONTI » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Yes, I miss Tom as well and I hear you on reproduction prices!
He always kept his prices to the "Good Old Days" prices!
I used to enjoy talking to him on the phone when I would call I would ask Ralph if Tom was around, had dealt with him since the early 80's, Great Guy!
And for the repro parts being hard to work with Tom would cast his parts just a shade large so we could shave them down for a tighter fit, or at least that's what he always told me!
You did a Great Job on that custom slot Charlie!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Rick B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Had a freind in Cleveland that moved to Cali. His wife was a HUGE Oz fan and even had a jewelry store named Emerald City Jewelers with a wall full of Oz stuff. Would be funny if this was his wife?? Rick B
Rick B

Postby youngjedi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Sorry Rick, not the same person.
youngjedi

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:02 am

Charlie:
Guess my eyes were a bit out-of-focus, when I first looked at the machine. I had thought that you put the
cherry castings in place, but now i see they are Red Slipper & Star Wand broaches. I also didn't notice that
the figures were standing on a platform. I did however, notice the symbol below the cherry on reel #2, but
didn't know what it was. Anyhow, thanks for the update. Great job.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Pictures