Bogus Trade Stimulators

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

Re: Bogus Trade Stimulators

Postby kman007 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:38 am

I was the ebay buyer who bought the machine...So here is the background story for what it is worth. The original Las Vegas-based seller had this machine listed for $399 with a BIN of $599. I saw it late one night a week or so ago and asked the seller if he would accept $500. ONLY AFTER I made the purchase, I researched the machine and discovered this forum post and felt like I was duped. Immediately contacted the seller and indicated that I was thinking I was getting an actual production machine (whether restored or not) and I requested a return (in advanced of receiving the item as I knew I didn't want it, unfortunately he had just shipped it out).

A few days later I got an email from ebay stating that the seller had opened a case and it was swiftly closed in his favor, now I could not return the item regardless of the 15 day return policy of the listing. I called ebay to appeal and they told me that because I had not received my item that I had lost the appeal and could not appeal again. Here is were I was freaking out and am a little uncertain....thinking I was stuck with the machine I relisted it in an effort to recoop my loss. I listed it as a BIN first and then had to end it to make it an auction or vice versa. Long story short when I got the previous poster's email about the machine being a mash up, I called ebay back and presented my appeal (I had all the photos of the sellers parts pieces and leftovers but didn't even need to present them) and after ten minutes on hold I was told that ebay made a mistake, I won the appeal and that I would then keep the item after receiving a full PayPal refund.

I relisted is again as I really just want to part ways with the whole thing. What is a reasonable price for something like this? I am not appealing to the true collector but it is a neat novelty. I tried to be as clear as possible of its origin in the most recent listing as I want any prospective buyer to enjoy what they are knowingly buying. I see the fancy ebay listing for the 4 reel Bar Boy conversion of a turf machine that seems to be seold by a reputable outfit that makes no mention to how recent of a conversion it is...clearly the same paint and graphics.

Ok,I hope I have not wronged anyone. If if doesn't sell I might try out my first $0.99 ebay auction start or give it away to my sister (who is not a collector and would dig a gambling gumball machine:)
kman007

Postby cpdretired » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 am

Most of this topic regarding bogus trade stimulators are directed at one person. The "bentcoin" AKA the Vegas Chop Shop. What I don't understand is that he is a member in good standing with C.O.C.A. He is in clear violation of the clubs goals. Year after year they take his dues. Do the officers of COCA read posts on this forum? They must at least look at his auctions of eBay.
http://coinopclub.org/

Bring together and promote fellowship among members.
Educate members through meetings, publications and the internet.
Cooperate with those seeking information concerning these machines, their history, collection and preservation.
Promote fair, ethical practices, dealing and sales within the club and hobby.
cpdretired

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:34 am

Hi kman007:
Congrats on sticking to your guns, and getting to keep the machine, and get your money back. You are not the first one that has
turned this Clown into eBay, and came out ahead. I know of at least two others, and some that have either lost, or never pursued
the challenge. This is around the 10th "Gem", that he has made into a FAKE "Bar Boy". One of the first that he did, was in a VCA
auction in Oct. 2006, and another in Mar. 2007. One of those two machines, the buyer was told later, that the machine was not
right, and was told to call me for info. When he called, I told him exactly what he had bought, and he was quite pissed. He was
going to contact VCA, about the matter, but decided later, that it wasn't worth his time. I offered to help him put it back to the
way it should be, and he was OK with that, but as time went on, I never heard from him, and I didn't have his number.
The other FAKE 4 reel "Bar Boy" that you see on eBay, was originally sold by the Butcher for $549.99, in March of this year. This
Fake change-over is a real travesty, because the "Turf" Horse Race model that was used, was a nice original when he purchased it,
and the bad thing is, there are not many known. It's bad enough, when he screws-up so many of the more common "Gem", but
when he Bastardizes a scarce machine like the "Turf", someone needs to have a serious talk with him. The powers-that-be at COCA
will not do anything about it either, as several REAL Collectors have brought it to their attention, and it all falls on Deaf Ears. Two
were told, that they were worried about a law suit. A Law Suit from what? He doesn't have a leg to stand on. He goes against every
word of the bylaws. Like I have said before, "his day is coming, that he is going to mess with the wrong person, and end up with a
pair of custom fitting cement shoes & overcoat". He started all his Fake machine changeovers, many years ago, when he was in
Washington State, before he moved to his beloved Sin City, and when I had a serious discussion with him about it, he thought it
was funny. That was the last day I ever spoke to him, and told him at that time, to "NOT order any strips & cards from me again".

Hopefully, if you do sell the "GEM BOY" to someone that is knowing exactly what they are getting, they will put it back to what
it should be. Or, perhaps your Sister will like the novelty as it is. I am sorry about your getting snookered, but at least you were
one-of-very-few, that came out on the winning end.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:07 am

OK Mr. cpdretired:
The following, in RED,is my version of what the Butcher interprets from the bylaws.

The purpose of the Coin Operated Collectors Association (C.O.C.A.) is to stimulate knowledge of, and interest in,
the collection of vintage coin operated machines in order to:

Oh, like screwing them over, every chance I get!
I can't educate anyone on something I know very little about!
Cooperate with those seeking information concerning these machines, their history, collection and preservation.
I will do everything but, as I don't know one machine from the other!
WHAT? I don't know what this means!

As stated above: When he says he "doesn't know one machine from the other".
He doesn't. As he is constantly misnaming both machines and parts on eBay.
Makes me wonder how many people have bought parts for something they need,
only to find out it doesn't fit, because it is for a different mfrs.machine. How many
of those items were returned? My guess, NONE.
I am mainly referring to Trade Stimulators here, but I have seen mistakes in Slot parts as well.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby kman007 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:50 am

Slot Dynasty: For me it was more a case of ebay courtesy. Obviously my impulse was a factor as if I had done my research sooner than later I would have just passed on it altogether. That said a simple note in the description that this was a modern conversion would have been sufficient to clear the fog, regardless of any of our opinions as to the practice of converting original machines. I tend to think that the far-gone machine may lend itself to a novelty of sorts but the fact that it resembles an actual production machine in title and graphics is the sticky part...if the reels had been your favorite GOP candidates and the whole thing was an election theme...still a traditionalist travesty but an obvious conversion in this great free country that we call home.

But back to my first point, all I asked to do was to return the item as per the 15 day return policy on the listing...I was even going to pay the return shipping. I don't think ebay can charge the seller so they chalk it up as a loss (hopefully they can still keep the lights on this month) so I guess this is still a preferred outcome for the seller as opposed to a return.

I appreciate the support and information, I joined the forum for some help with a MIlls pocket Vest slot that I was lucky enough to get and I think either the spring is tired or something in the mechanism is sticky as the coin return reset function will slow every so often and not allow the next coin to go in...seems to happen more when in the case then when outside but I have watched it happen outside the case too. But that is for another post.

In addition to the Gem Boy I have a Sparky Poker themed trade simulator in my ebay page that also has to go! I can now do a deal on both!

Thanks again.
kman007

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 am

cpdretired wrote:Most of this topic regarding bogus trade stimulators are directed at one person. The "bentcoin" AKA the Vegas Chop Shop. What I don't understand is that he is a member in good standing with C.O.C.A. He is in clear violation of the clubs goals. Year after year they take his dues. Do the officers of COCA read posts on this forum? They must at least look at his auctions of eBay.
http://coinopclub.org/

I was contacted a while back from the person whose id is "BentCoin" on eBay. This person is not the Vegas Chop Shop guy.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that the eBay seller of BentCoin is not the person being referenced so much in this thread.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi Dave:
You're absolutely right. We want to make it clear to all Forum members, that the Jerk we refer to as the "Vegas Butcher", is (thebentcoin) on eBay.
The person that contacted you, is just (bentcoin) on eBay, whom I have known for many years, and is a straight-up guy from Indiana. He has had a
problem over the years, with other collectors confusing the two eBayID's. I tried to get him to change it long ago, but he wanted to keep it. Luckily
he hasn't been on eBay as much as he used to. Especially during the time-frame when the Vegas Butcher was running rampid with his multitude of
Fake & Bastardized machines, that he snookered so many buyers with. There were three or four buyers that did make him take their machine back,
but it was never reflected in his negative feedback. A couple of good things that have happened with all this, is he has been approached by several
collectors whom have read him the 'riot-act', and even embarrassed him, by posting notes on all the walls, (even the bathrooms), at the Chicago show,
which caused him to pack up his junk, and leave. He also hasn't been set-up at the last two shows. Another good thing, is that since Sidlow lost control
of the VCA auction, in which he allowed his kissin-cousin, the Butcher to put all his Crap in the auction, has ceased since Morphy took over the helm.
Sidlow was still working with Morphy after the switch, for a couple of venues, but has since been 'let go'. Don't know the details, but he is history. =D>
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi All:
Well, just when I thought that the 'Vegas Butcher' was taking a break from destroying more machines, he is back at it again.
This time, he has CRAPPED-UP another "Gem Vender", with a Cruddy Blue paint-job, and a recast, cut-down jackpot from a
Pierce model machine. This machine never came with a jackpot. Nor did it ever come with fruit reel strips. Do not bid on
this 'piece-of-junk', and spread the word. We don't need this Crap in our hobby.
This machine was a perfectly good original when he bought it. With original black wrinkle paint, and cigarette strips & card.
He is also selling the original strips & card on eBay, that he removed from this machine. There is just no end to Stupidity &
Greed with this Clown. He has screwed more collectors with his Bogus Crap for too long, and most of them are new people
that are coming in to our hobby, and don't find out, till it is too late. As I have said before, "if any of our Forum members
have questions about what (thebentcoin) is offering on eBay, ask before bidding". Also, most of the recast aluminum castings
that he sells, are Crap as well. Some are even made-up Phoney's, that never existed.

This is the eBay entry that I am referring to.
2017-02-25 Added Bogus Pierce JP & incorrect strips (not yet sold at $650.99)a.jpg
Another machine Destroyed by the VEGAS BUTCHER.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 pm

yep saw that one but, honestly didn't know much about the originals, So thank you for the heads up on the information.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Previous

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines