Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Don't know if anyone will be interested, but here we go. The upright light board was kinda floppy, so first thing I did today was take the light board out, hung it on the wall so as not to stress the wire bundle then gently pried the wood frame off.
I put the glass in a safe place. I don't want to fool with the ink, so I'm thinking of plating it with a piece of thin plexi to prevent future flaking. Possible problem with that would be too much heat from the bulbs for the plexi.
I will push the finishing nails out, epoxy the loose joints, then glue/ nail it back in place.
The cash box has a round key lock which doesn't work. I sprayed a little wd and fiddled with it, but it won't open.
I don't want to drill it, but I will if I must.
On a lighter note, it appears I have three sets of the "book", plus wiring diagrams.

That's it for now.
Best,
J
OneArmBandito

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby TheFatman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:22 pm

In protecting the painted glass, I use Krylons Triple Thick ... This is a clear coat that makes a plastic coating on the surface and stops further peeling.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby OneArmBandito » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 pm

I wondered about that. Do the flakes that are still attached lay down when sprayed ?
Also thought plating with real glass.
Anyone here use "Fluid Film" for corrosion protection ? Lanolin based. Thinking about all those little light sockets.
Thanks for the input.
J
OneArmBandito

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Dave F. is correct , that works best. a gay tested it in Michigan on pinball glass stored in his garage. many years in the heat & cold with No issues.
1) any areas that show through (clear areas for the reels ,ect.) need to be masked off ,OR later
after it's dry ,scratch off with a razor blade. these areas will look foggy.
2) spray a "light coat in 1 direction (side to side), let dry. spray again but up & down direction.
another IF you feel like it.
3) spray straight down , don't tilt the can.... the force will knock off other areas flaking off.
4) as I read. you can use Saran wrap & lay it down over it ,then apply heavy items, to the bigger areas flaking off = pushing it to the glass. will take MUCH longer to dry (day or 2), but the flakes will be up against the glass not noticeably " a millimeter away" .

I'll hunt down the site with the information ,post a link of it here.
if you go in from the back side, I believe you can loosen the nut holding the lock in place. I'll have to recheck.
if you get the chance, photos of the covers of the manuals would be nice. I only know of 2 different ones.
JHSS-1944

Postby OneArmBandito » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:46 pm

I think the only way to get to the cash box from the back is to take the mech out, then slide the lower deck back.
Ugh. Dint want to do that. I'm scared of disturbing fragile wiring.
Worked on loose cabinet corner today. One screw form the outside on a forty five to draw it in, then reglued the wood corner brace.
Thanks for the info.

Best,
J
OneArmBandito

Postby OneArmBandito » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I figured out the difference between 55 bulbs and 57s. 57s don't burn real bright on 6v.
What I didn't figure out was why my multi meter won't register that voltage on those light grids.
OneArmBandito

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...Baby steps.

Postby OneArmBandito » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm really happy with this old slot. In the past week I've tightened up the back glass frame, plated that glass with a piece of 1/16 glass which worked out well. Only minor adjustments for getting the light board back in place. The right hand coin chute relay had a little brass post broken off which is supposed to have a little compression spring on it. Good thing I had the left hand chute to compare ! I drilled into that "socket"enough to self tap a tiny S.S. Machine screw in, cut down a little spring, added a washer and adjusting nut, and viola ! Relay no longer buzzes. Right hand coin chute now in working order.
Watched a YouTube vid on picking cylinder locks. Tried it. Failed. Locksmith charges $55 to show up, plus time spent picking,plus making making a key. Probably going to drill it out. The top lid lock had one key broke off in it. I got that out, adjusted the latch, got it working good w the second key.
Looking at my books, turns out one is a typed copy, and one is an original. I need to organize a digi cam to get some pics of some of this project.
Turns out there was a junction box hiding behind the picture on the wall above the machine. I bought a cheap wall light today and put it up. Shows the machine off nice even without being plugged in.
That's all for now...
OneArmBandito

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 am

sounds good so far.
The typed manual might be the original , first issue. made in a hurry to send out with the machines. later the quality copy was made but, detailed stuff the other was missing , or updating it ,as unknown bugs popped up in the real world usage.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby OneArmBandito » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 am

I noticed a slight squeak when the reels were slowing. One book says the spinner unit has special "no lube" bearings. The other says there are oil holes in each bearing. I see no holes. The bearings on the ends look like bronze. I unhooked the stop springs and turned the reels by hand. At first I thought something was horribly wrong from the scraping sound, then realized the stops were laying on the inner rim of the reels. Used bread ties to tie them up a bit. Decided to use a drop of Zoom brand oil on each.
Now some of those little hickies (contactors?) on spring loaded arms are pretty wore and are also wearing grooves in the discs. Most look like brass, however one that I saw was shiny silver looking. Maybe plated brass ? Certainly not something hard ! ? I'm starting to face the fact that one day I will have to take that whole mech out.
On a lighter note, I called the former owner (name, addy, phone on folder the books were in). She told me the machine came from Beverly Beach MD. Resort. When the resort closed, her father bought several of the machines. Her brother got one. She got one. When she moved to a smaller house she decided to sell the keeney.
Here is a photo of the slot room at the resort:

http://www.beverlybeach.org/Images/Phot ... ts_jpg.htm

P.S. Last night I played it for a while and hit three plums for 16 nickels !
OneArmBandito

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...A slot heist !

Postby OneArmBandito » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Hit three bars last night. Don't remember whether it was a nickel bet or a ten cent bet, but it paid 70.
Toaday I decided to get to the cash box lock from the back door. Unhooked the wires, emptied the coin tubes, took the tubes out and took out the lower shelf. The box was still inside a plywood box, so I had to pry off the lid. Got the lock off, the cash box is out. Some rust from the Nickles sitting there so long. Emptied it and soaked it with fluid film.
A buddy who's in hvac is going to get me some contact cleaner. Now jeff, you warned me I have do do it right....
OneArmBandito

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions