Pace Bantam Bell 10 cent machine 1928

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Pace Bantam Bell 10 cent machine 1928

Postby vegas2125 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 am

Hi all,

Recently purchased the subject slot machine. Machine is in amazing condition but there were some operational issues. I have corrected all of the problem except one. Hopefully, I can get some input into how solve the following problem:

The payout slides tend to hang up. The bottom slide in particular. After a winning combination has come up on the machine, the effort required to pull down the handle on the next pull is much greater. The very bottom slide appears to be hanging up. When the slide come free it moves forward very rapidly and actually contacts the back side of the front casting. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Robert
Throughout my life I spent most of my money on cars, women, and gambling; the rest of it, I just wasted.
vegas2125

Re: Pace Bantam Bell 10 cent machine 1928

Postby oldslotman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

First to do would be to take all the slides out and clean them and check them over. It sounds like you maybe getting a coin jam after a payout out when the coin are refilling the payout slides. Coins maybe not falling into place.
oldslotman

Postby vegas2125 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. After several days of looking and trying to understand what was happening, I finally found the problem. When a payout occurs the slide(s) are pulled backwards. After the payout slides moved backwards, an arm moves a locking lever into a slot on the side of the slide(s) which locks them in place. As you pull the handle for the next spin the locking lever is supposed to move out of slot and allow the payout slide(s) to move forward, back into place. What was happening was the locking lever was not moving out of the way before the payout slide(s) tried to move forward. This caused the payout slide(s) to jam until the spring forces pushed the locking lever out of the way. When the locking lever was was forced out of the slot, the payout slides were free to move forward with a lot of force.

I know my terminology isn't right but wanted to let you know what I had found. When I discovered what was happening, I thought I would find some wear on the arm or locking lever. There was nothing obvious. The problem was solved by removing the small spring on the locking lever. After operating the machine about one hundred times, it seems to work perfectly. Payouts are correct and no more jams.

Best regards, Robert
Throughout my life I spent most of my money on cars, women, and gambling; the rest of it, I just wasted.
vegas2125

Postby briank » Sat May 20, 2017 4:46 am

Could you post pictures of your machine? I have one but mine is slightly newer I believe. How is the action on your "escalator" as it spins. Im talking about the part the coin drops into and rotates and either drops into the jackpot or coin tube. Does it roatate slow and easy or ....bam....seems to jump?
briank

Postby vegas2125 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Photos of 1928 Pace Bantam Slot Machine. Escalator works smoothly, this machine has a brass cylinder dampener that is used to slow the rotation speed.
Attachments
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 030.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 027.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 022.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 020.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 015.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 001.JPG
PACE BANTAM SLOT MACHINE 006.JPG
vegas2125

Postby standardchief » Sat May 20, 2017 3:52 pm

briank wrote:Could you post pictures of your machine? I have one but mine is slightly newer I believe. How is the action on your "escalator" as it spins. Im talking about the part the coin drops into and rotates and either drops into the jackpot or coin tube. Does it rotate slow and easy or ....bam....seems to jump?

I have a 1928 5-cent Pace Bantam serial #J4963. The rotary escalator does not move while the reels are spinning. Once they stop spinning, the escalator "jumps" and drops a coin into the jackpot or coin tube.

Vegas2125, my machine looks different that yours. I'll attach a picture. No big deal, since Pace made variation after variation. It looks to me like your serial number is 11409 (though the second "1" also looks like a "d"). If it is 11409, then my understanding is that it has a manufacturing date of 1932.
Attachments
Pace Bantam 1.jpg
1928 Pace Bantam
standardchief

Postby vegas2125 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:30 am

Standardchief - The escalator on my machine does not rotate until after the reels stop spinning. I believe that is the way it was designed to work. My machine has has a brass cylinder dampener that is used to slow the rotation speed. Even with the dampener, the escalator still rotates pretty fast. Before I put oil in the dampener, the escalator rotated much faster. Where did you find information to indicate what year my machine was made? I think you are right about your machine being a little older than mine. Notice that mine had a twin Jak Pot verses a single Jak Pot on yours.
vegas2125

Postby standardchief » Sun May 21, 2017 6:46 am

vegas2125 wrote:... Where did you find information to indicate what year my machine was made? I think you are right about your machine being a little older than mine. ...

I'm still new to this hobby, but here is my understanding: Dick Bueschel in the 1980s asked collectors to contribute the dates, descriptions, and serial numbers of their machines. He published, among other things, four volumes of "An Illustrated Guide to 100 Most Collectible Slot Machines." Volume 3 on page 19 lists Pace serial numbers. 11409 on that page falls in the middle of the serial numbers for 1931 and 1933.

If you don't have these booklets, they do show up on ebay from time to time.
standardchief

Postby briank » Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 am

My serial number is 12720 so its a little later one. I also have the brass cylinder to dampen the escalator speed and when I bought the slot it also jerked or slammed as it rotated. I also observed ones for sale on youtube and ebay do the same and didnt feel that was right so I added a small amount of fluid to the cyclinder and it rotates smoothly now. Mine also rotates after the wheels stop spinning.
briank

Postby Mechanik » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't see a Thank button, so I'll just say thanks here. My newer Pace "slams" the elevator rotation and your photo shows me that my damper cylinder is missing! Now all I need to do is find one for sale....
Mechanik

Return to Slots