Bending metal

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Bending metal

Postby Lol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

I am a newbie to slots. This question might have already been asked so apologies if it already has. From the information in the slot pictorial guides there is a mention of metal bending if it is necessary when working on slot machine mechanism. I believe that in pictures of old slot tools there are some tools that were exactly for the purpose of bending metal horizontal, vertical and so on. Are these tools available to purchase? I don't have the equipment to make my own so I am hoping that such tools are still available? Even in the modern world there must be occasions were you still need to bend metal? If anyone has these tools and can post a few images then that would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Lol
Lol

Re: Bending metal

Postby mechanic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm

A hodge podge set of slot tools was recently sold on Ebay for $220. Some were hand made and others were repros. There may have been a few originals but not sure as they did not look like any of mine. It will be a long time to find a set as no one makes any repro sets and the last original set I seen was the set I bought over 20 yrs ago. GOOD LUCK!!!
mechanic

Postby Lol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for the information. Please could you post some photos of your slot tools set.
Lol

Postby briank » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am

Pliers , a vice and a hammer are cheaper...just take you time and do minor tweaks.
briank

Postby Lol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:08 am

Yes that would be cheaper but it would be a hit and miss method. The purpose made tools for adjusting the mechanism were exactly that. You don't have to remove the part from the slot mechanism and take it to a vice. Then put it back on the mechanism and if it needs further adjustment then take it off and go back to the vice and so on, The tools were designed so that you can work on the mechanism in situ. That way a lot of time is saved. If any members of the forum have these tools then please can they confirm this and post a few photos of the tools. It appears that most members do not want to talk about this? It is hardly giving secret information away. Everybody benefits from using the right tools on slot machines and sharing their knowledge with other members.
Lol

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 am

If I had a set of these special tools, I would picture them for You & All in a heartbeat. I have made several
small tools, to make the job easier over the years. One example being, a length of wire coat-hanger, with
the ends flattened, bent, and notched, for removing & installing hard-to-get-to small springs. There are a
couple of people on this Forum, from what I have seen, that are quite capable of making repro sets of these
hard-to-find tools, if an original set is made available to do so. I am sure that they would sell very well.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Lol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:46 am

I am also sure that if the metal bending tools were to be reproduced that there would be a great demand for them. I believe that Jack Brink sold two types of spring tools which look to be very useful. Dave Berten know sells these and they are cheap to buy.
Lol

Return to Slots