HELP! Mills Black Beauty stuck in mid-cycle

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

HELP! Mills Black Beauty stuck in mid-cycle

Postby aldiener » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 am

Good day everyone,
I am having another new(bie) issue.

Fortunately, I have been able to fix many issues with your help and expertise.

So everything has been working well for about 6 weeks, after adding a new operating fork spring and adjusting the front lock.

Today when I went to play the machine, on the second try, the handle went down, sounds were made, but the wheels never spinned
and there was no resetting of the mechanism. I opened the back expecting to see an issue with the spring but to no avail. I removed
the mechanism from the case and it appears that the mechanism is stuck in mid-cycle and the main operating fork is down. I have no
idea what caused this or how to reset it...

Any thoughts?

I am so very grateful for this forum where I can get support from people like you :-)

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Warmly,
Amy
aldiener

Re: HELP! Mills Black Beauty stuck in mid-cycle

Postby aldiener » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am

Good day everyone,
I have identified an issue that I think is contributing to my problem.

In the photo, where I am pointing, the two pieces separated. There is no place
for a cotter pin and I am not sure why this is suddenly happening. It has only
become an issue since I installed the new operating fork spring which could
be entirely coincidental.

I would appreciate your thoughts and/or suggestions on this issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Warmly,
Amy

Mills Black Beauty Handle Issue.jpg
aldiener

Re: HELP! Mills Black Beauty stuck in mid-cycle

Postby mechanic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Seems like you need to release the ratchet pawl so it can go back to zero. The inside handle starting lever pushes down on the part with the bearing on the end out in front. Follow the form of the part till you see the serrated curved top, the ratchet is just above that. You will need a screw driver and heavy duty needle nose pliers. Take the screw driver or if you have a starting lever handle push down on the bearing part and at the same time put the needle nose on the ratchet and turn it clockwise till it releases the starting lever. Let the lever come up till the ratchet is in front of the serrated top part. This should clear the problem you have at present. You will need to look for the cause which may be a coin jam in the slides or some other problem. Good Luck
mechanic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions