Sad news

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Sad news

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 pm

I am sorry to report that Bill Whelan passed away on 12/12/2017.

You may know Bill as SlotDynasty on this forum.

He was a regular poster in this forum and always more than happy to help anyone out. He was known for his restorations including uprights.

He had almost 1500 posts and his last post was on 10/23/2017 and the post was, of course, trying to help someone out. In this case, helping someone get a key made for their machine.

I think he especially liked helping the new collectors and was also a strong advocate for not modifying machines and against selling reproductions as original machines.

His knowledge of slots and trade stimulators was huge.

I never met Bill in person but talked to him for hours on the phone. He was always a gentleman.

Bill, you will be missed.
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Sad news

Postby marsonion » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 am

This hurts pretty bad. I also enjoyed hours of telephone conversation with Bill, always fun and full of sly humor, and of course he was a monomaniacal source of historical information and detail, most of it first-hand and very useful. I am one of the many newbies he took such pains to set straight; he was always ribbing me in the right direction. I'm going to be missing him for a long time.
marsonion

Postby gsx11r » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:03 am

Oh No !! Sad news !!!

Bill was always the first to warn us about fake or fraudulant machine on EBay .
Always ready to help everyone .
Argh , very sad news .

I offer sincere condolences to his family .

Stephane :cry:
gsx11r

Postby cpdretired » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 am

Bill will be missed. Receiving a phone call from Bill was an all night event. It was more like you listened to Bill. Trying to get a word in was next to impossible. I always wanted to meet Bill. Well he has many friends in coinop heaven that are waiting for him.
Ron
http://www.duggans-serra.com/obituary/B ... CA/1769282
cpdretired

Postby standardchief » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:47 am

I have only been collecting about 3 years. I often followed everything Bill said as I worked to build my expertise and my small collection. Bill was very helpful when I knew nothing at all about these "amazing mechanical computers."

I managed to get a large collection of "The Coin Slot" magazines a while back. Bill was a frequent contributor. As I recall there were several pictures of him with his "cowboy" hat.

On this forum, Bill's posts were always informative. He could really launch into the fakes he saw on eBay. His knowledge was fantastic, and he will be missed.
standardchief

Postby randyvw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 am

one of the goodguys, with so much info from the old days. R.I.P., bill.....irreplaceable. :(
randyvw

Postby sam2002 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am

So sorry to hear this . Condolences to his family and friends . Never met him in person but will agree with some of the other comments his phone calls would last for hours !!
You will be missed
sam2002

Postby RameGoom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm

I have had several phone conversations with Bill. Sorry to hear...he will be missed by all.

RIP Bill.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby saloonkpr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 pm

BREAKER 19 RUBBA DUCKY Signing OFF For LAST TIME R.I.P. GOOD BUDDY
saloonkpr

Postby clubconsoles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am

Very Sad news indeed
I never met Bill but his warnings to new collectors about the fake and phoney machines were invaluable.
RIP BILL from an appreciative collector in the UK!
clubconsoles

Next

Return to Just Chatting