Mills Firebird QT JP won't pay

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Firebird QT JP won't pay

Postby cbvig » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:05 am

[attachment=0]IMG_3405.jpg

Recently acquired this Mills that has been restored and I believe the chrome front is a repro. It works like a charm . . . except the jackpot won't pay out. I've never hit the jackpot, so I set the reels to a jackpot and nothing happens. Advice? Solution?
Thanks,
Chris in Oregon
Attachments
IMG_3405.jpg
cbvig

Re: Mills Firebird QT JP won't pay

Postby flipper77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 am

Chris, start with the obvious. Could be that there is a coin wedged in one of the jackpots. Or more common, the jackpot components need to be manually moved a few times to free up. Maybe sat in same position for long time. Get ready to catch coins - manually open and close the jackpots several times to make sure all is intact. Line up jackpot symbols again. If doesn't release JP, examine the small post that rotates up and actuates the jackpot Use a spring hook and manually pull the post up which should rotate the cam and open the JP. Again may just not have moved for a long time and gummed up or needs exercise. With jackpot set, if manually pulling up on the post doesn't open one of the Jackpots, you may have to invest in the QT Maintenance book or take to a knowledgeable collector close by. Good luck, Flip.
flipper77

Postby cbvig » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks Flip. Not being all that familiar with this mech, I'm not positive which posts you mean. I see two just above the JP, which I cannot move. I've also noticed a broken spring (long) on the lower right side and can't make out what it's purpose is. Can you tell me how to remove the mech? And where would I find a QT manual?
Best,
Chris
Oregon
cbvig

Postby flipper77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 am

Away from home for holidays so can't send any pictures. To remove mechanism, take off back door and slide out cash box. Then slide mechanism out from front and sit on edge of table or bench so jackpots can hang down. If you look down and behind the jackpots, you can see the post (some describe it as baseball bat) that rotates up on a JP win to open one side of JP.

You see the Mills QT repair manual occasionally on eBay though it is less common than the other Mead repair manuals. Maybe others can provide help as I am away from my machines and files. Good luck, Flip.
flipper77

Postby marsonion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:51 pm

cbvig wrote:Thanks Flip. Not being all that familiar with this mech, I'm not positive which posts you mean. I see two just above the JP, which I cannot move. I've also noticed a broken spring (long) on the lower right side and can't make out what it's purpose is. Can you tell me how to remove the mech? And where would I find a QT manual?
Best,
Chris
Oregon

I've been having a problem with a QT JP popping open unexpectedly, the opposite problem to yours, which nevertheless could possibly be due to related mechanical issues. Please visit this thread, where you'll find a very useful link provided by Mills:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5853

My shop is only about 100 miles away from you, so you're welcome to bring your machine with a malfunctioning JP over to compare it with my machine with a (differently) malfunctioning JP, and maybe we'll find a solution to both mysteries.
marsonion

Postby cbvig » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks for the offer. Fantastic pics of the re-assembly of the QT on that link. Mine has been gone through, is clean and well-oiled. Everything looks good. Just won't open the JP doors!
Chris
cbvig

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions